PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SouthernGuy

Lurker
May 7, 2020
North East Louisiana
I'm very new to this, I'm a cigar smoker, but that's become expensive, plus I've always been interested in trying pipes.
My first few attempts have been horrible. I was trying to take my time, but it tasted burnt? I'll start over. So, I was bored and desperate with all this Covid-19 mess going on. I drove up to a tobacco store and went thru the drive thru and bought a pipe and some tobacco. I know, I'm crazy. I had no idea what I was doing, I just told the girl give me what they sell a lot of. Well, I ended up with a bag of Gambler pipe tobacco, regular flavor. I rushed home, put some in the pipe, tried not to pack it too much and lit up. OMG, this taste terrible! But wait, I smoke cigars, and I used to smoke cigarettes. I should be able to do this. At any rate, I went online an ordered some tobacco, so now I have the following:

So far, the Stanwell is my favorite, although I'm still having trouble with a somewhat burnt taste sometimes. I can't for the life of me figure out what is too wet, or too dry, or if I'm packing too tight or not enough. I don't think I'm packing too tight. My pipe won't stay lit, so I have to constantly relight. This is so frustrating! But I'm determined to get through this!

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance!

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
You got cigarette tobacco originally.
the 4 you just got are goopers besides the Stanwell. Highland whiskey should be ok.

let the tobacco dry until it’s damn near crispy. It takes a long time.
also just let the tobacco trickle into the pipe until it’s full.. push it down VERY lightly only in the middle with your fingertip and top it off. When you char it.. take a few good draws where the flame goes deep into the tobacco and get it blackened all over the top. Then light it again but only lightly draw the flame right over the top of the tobacco without letting the flame touch it. Then get a good ember and smoke away. Get the ember going and let it cool down. Get it going and cool it down. Etc

you should only tamp a few times throughout the whole thing.

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
the 4 you just got are goopers besides the Stanwell. Highland whiskey should be ok.

also just let the tobacco trickle into the pipe until it’s full.. push it down VERY lightly only in the middle with your fingertip and top it off. When you char it.. take a few good draws where the flame goes deep into the tobacco and get it blackened all over the top. Then light it again but only lightly draw the flame right over the top of the tobacco without letting the flame touch it. Then get a good ember and smoke away. Get the ember going and let it cool down. Get it going and cool it down. Etc

A pretty good instruction of one way to do it. Well done.

SpookedPiper

Lifer
Sep 9, 2019
East coast

Well said, well stated!

SouthernGuy

Lurker
May 7, 2020
North East Louisiana

Cigarette tobacco? It says Pipe tobacco on the bag. At any rate, I'm tossing it. It's horrible. Thanks for the response, and the good tips. My tobacco is not crispy by any means. Some of them are even sticky. What do you mean by "goopers"? Any suggestions for a good newbie tobacco?

Thanks Again!

Reactions: jpmcwjr and BROBS

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
If you grab the tobacco between thumb and index finger and squeeze, you will feel cold dampness. Dry till it's no longer cold or damp but the tobacco is not crumbling and breaking apart. The edge of the tobacco might be crispy at this point. Depends on how wet your tobacco is, it might take 30-45 min to an overnight. If your place is very very humid, you might have to find another way to dry it like tea warmer.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
You may also be smoking too fast. Letting the pipe get too hot it can cause unpleasant flavors. If the bowl is hot to the touch where you can't handle it, probably you're smoking too fast and puffing too much. Plus the aromatics you're smoking don't like high heat. If you can pull back a bit it might help.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Some of them are even sticky. What do you mean by "goopers”?
You said it when you mentioned them being sticky. It’s usually a ton of propylene glycol. It’s a humectant. A lot of not-so-great aromatic blends are drowned in it and heavily topped with some artificial flavoring to mask the mediocre tobacco. I’m not writing off all aromatic blends though. There are plenty of good ones.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
I'm pretty new myself. You look like you have a good beginning stash. The experts will chime in but if you have time peruse YouTube videos. They've been a big help to me.

I'm very new to this, I'm a cigar smoker, but that's become expensive, plus I've always been interested in trying pipes.
My first few attempts have been horrible. I was trying to take my time, but it tasted burnt? I'll start over. So, I was bored and desperate with all this Covid-19 mess going on. I drove up to a tobacco store and went thru the drive thru and bought a pipe and some tobacco. I know, I'm crazy. I had no idea what I was doing, I just told the girl give me what they sell a lot of. Well, I ended up with a bag of Gambler pipe tobacco, regular flavor. I rushed home, put some in the pipe, tried not to pack it too much and lit up. OMG, this taste terrible! But wait, I smoke cigars, and I used to smoke cigarettes. I should be able to do this. At any rate, I went online an ordered some tobacco, so now I have the following:

So far, the Stanwell is my favorite, although I'm still having trouble with a somewhat burnt taste sometimes. I can't for the life of me figure out what is too wet, or too dry, or if I'm packing too tight or not enough. I don't think I'm packing too tight. My pipe won't stay lit, so I have to constantly relight. This is so frustrating! But I'm determined to get through this!

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance!

twoonefive

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 6, 2014
Willow Grove, PA
pipesandpens.com
SmokingPipes has a sale on Sutliff right now -

I also sent you a PM about samples if you are interested.

Reactions: SouthernGuy

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Cigarette tobacco? It says Pipe tobacco on the bag. At any rate, I'm tossing it. It's horrible. Thanks for the response, and the good tips. My tobacco is not crispy by any means. Some of them are even sticky. What do you mean by "goopers"? Any suggestions for a good newbie tobacco?

Thanks Again!
Lots of roll your own cigarette tobacco is labeled as pipe tobacco to avoid tax. Very few actual pipe tobaccos come in bags at the store like that unless you’re buying 1lb bulks.

by goopers I mean aromatics really in general. Try something without flavoring like a Virginia/ Perique or an English blend. Also try Carter Hall or Prince Albert. Or Sir Walter Raleigh or even the aromatic of that one. I’d start there (VaPer, English, and Burley) and see which one or ones strike your fancy.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
BROBS speaks my experience too.
Coming from cigars myself, I can also tell you that I had better luck with non-aromatic blends when I first made the switch to pipes, FWIW. I wasn’t really feeling the toppings or the sweetened Cavendish. I was craving that natural tobacco taste and some nicotine that I was familiar with from my cigars. Peterson’s Irish Flake was the first blend I ever really had a good bowl with, and still like it a lot to this day. When you open the tin, you’ll know it’s not a “gooper.” ?
The flakes do come a bit damp though and need some drying time.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago

don't listen to Brobs, he drinks Zima. Instead do this,
let the tobacco dry until it’s damn near crispy. It takes a long time. also just let the tobacco trickle into the pipe until it’s full.. push it down VERY lightly only in the middle with your fingertip and top it off.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
don't listen to Brobs, he drinks Zima. Instead do this,
let the tobacco dry until it’s damn near crispy. It takes a long time. also just let the tobacco trickle into the pipe until it’s full.. push it down VERY lightly only in the middle with your fingertip and top it off.
Two totally different responses...how do we know which one is correct?????

Reactions: hauntedmyst

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

Thanks Again!
it's a tax dodge. I mean the labeling on the bag of gambler.

Fiddlepiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 22, 2020
Scotland
www.danielthorpemusic.com
As someone who is still fairly new to pipe smoking all I would say is to persevere!

Follow the advice given above, take your time and it’ll come. And when it does, boy is it worth it! Took me a good while of less than ideal tasting bowls to get a properly good one and even now I get a rubbish one sometimes.