PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
I feel "mouthfeel" comes into play as well. Your Virginia/perique blends may leave a little spicy feeling whereas you Latakia blends have the smokiness feeling or taste. Take your time. Everyone is still learning as they go, just the well seasoned folks have been at it longer.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
My first bowl I was like wow, this is where it's at. It was an english blend by McClellend's in bulk at my local B&M which I think was Frog Morton On the Town, they would open tins that weren't selling and sell them in bulk. It was a coarse cut. I suggest starting with blends rather than things like flakes or straight Va's or VaPer's. I also find most aromatics don't have alot of taste, they're more about crowd pleasing room note than anything. I just found I would have a sore mouth from puffing too hard at first. The pipe also comes into play, some pipes do better with certain blends, or if you've smoked an aro in a pipe and then smoke something like an english it usually makes for an unpleasant taste. Alot of people swear by things like Carter hall and Lanes 1Q when starting out.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Some of us swear by Carter Hall after smoking dozens of blends over dozens of years. Damian has received some good counsel. Pax

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
Take your time. I would slow down to 1 bowl a day then the occasional 2nd. Don't overload your palate. Give them time to adjust. Also drink water while smoking your pipes. The small nuances will come out eventually.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
So far, I've been smoking regularly (and maybe too much even, two-three bowls a day in three days) and I know how to pack, char, light, and smoke a pipe; yet I am not really feeling this "taste" everybody is talking about.
It takes time to develop an awareness of it. It's a lot like wine, or the varieties of tea, subtle at first but then a new world. It also depends on the tobaccos you smoke.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
I find it to be more of a "sensation" then a taste. Granted each tobacco has something to offer. Those with Latakia certainly have a taste. But even then is only at the initial lite.
As for "smell nice in the tin." I have found aromatics why smell nice in the tin, does not resonate to taste. Actually I enjoy smoking English far above aromatics, and most English do not have the best smell in the tin.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
I find it to be more of a "sensation" then a taste. Granted each tobacco has something to offer. Those with Latakia certainly have a taste. But even then is only at the initial lite.
As for "smell nice in the tin." I have found aromatics why smell nice in the tin, does not resonate to taste. Actually I enjoy smoking English far above aromatics, and most English do not have the best smell in the tin.
Since you are so new to smoking, check out youtube. Lots of good info there. If you can be patient and have time to kill, this guy has a lot of great info - .
And here is a short video about packing, [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XHYPso7TXs]. Both taught me a lot and shorten my learning curve.

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
Tobacco smoke is somewhat of an acquired taste, and one's palate will become "educated" over time.
Probably one of the most astute statements I have read on this forum, Cortez.
It really puts the journey in perspective. I started with aromatics and for years it kept me stunted in regards to my taste of the tobacco. I am not saying aromatics are bad. I still smoke several of them and try other great ones from time to time. But as you say in your statement they are a bit of a traffic jam to your taste buds if you start out with them. This is of course my opinion, based on my own history and others may not find it to be theirs. I would still encourage a new smoker to approach tobacco on a very simple level by sticking to basic blends and going from there.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I started out on aromatics and found them to be quite flavorful and enjoyable. I've since branched out to VAs and VaPers. I will say my appreciation of those have helped me appreciate and draw even more flavor from the aromatics.
My advice is always to order some bulks of the different genres to sample and see what they're like.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Sounds to me like your puffing away like mad = burnt tongue and no taste. I personally find more taste with small slow infrequent puffs. It's more like sipping than gulping.
Pipe smoking is really an art that can take a lifetime to master. I've been smoking pipes off and on for 25 years and I'm still a yellow belt.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I agree that smoking too quickly can be a problem, but is consistent with having experienced cigarettes. For a cigarette, you take a long drag and get the smoke into the lungs as quickly as possible. For a pipe, you take a shorter and slower drag and keep it rolling around your mouth. $0.02

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
take your time smoking, enjoy it, I had the same problem because I was smoking it like a cigarette, it only burned my tongue like hell and I almost quit, but now I take my time and you can taste the rum or the casing that they put in the tobacco, also if you leave the tobacco to dry a little bit , it can give you a cooler smoke

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
It helps to have a good place to smoke. Light breeze, cool temperature, some quiet, no car exhaust (stronger burned flavors absorb weaker ones).

damianmonk

Might Stick Around
Aug 26, 2015
I had not realised that this thread has been necro'd. Good news however! I've finally understood what 'taste' is, and my tongue no longer sandpapers. I'm glad I stuck with pipe smoking instead of quitting!

Status
Not open for further replies.