PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
A question for my fellow pipe smokers.
I got my 3rd quality pipe for christmas, and I think I'm in love.
Based on advice from some friends who introduced me to the hobby, as well as some of you, I decided to dedicate my pipes to either aromatics, english/latakia blends or virginias. My first pipe was an aromatic pipe, my second a latakia pipe, and I've decided to make my 3rd one another aromatic pipe, since that is what I smoke most.
I noticed a huge difference smoking my older aro pipe compared to my new one which I have only had for a few days now. I understand that there will always be a taste or ghosting left behind. But is it normal for it to be this noticeable? And is there anything I can do to somewhat hinder it?
I do clean my pipes, usually after every smoke. Occasionally I wet the pipe cleaners with high percentage alcohol to get them thoroughly clean. But still I get a rather tremendous difference. It would be nice to taste all the different kinds of tobacco as purely as possible without having to buy a new pipe with each tobacco I buy.
Thanks in advance for any tips or advice.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
You mentioned something I wanted to comment on. . . If you're actually running alcohol through your pipe frequently, you should let that pipe rest for at least a week in order to dry out. I run a pipe cleaner through after every bowl, but I only do an alcohol-based cleaning twice a year. (I have a lot of pipes in my rotation, though.) I also think it's a good idea to give any pipe a week "off" after a day of smoking it, just so it can dry out. Since you've only got three pipes now, I'm guessing you're smoking them much more frequently than that, and that can have a negative impact on flavor over time.
I also think it takes at least three full bowlfuls to get rid of any ghosts of a previous blend (and some blends will stay with a pipe forever).
Bob

rotschefeller

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 27, 2012
Köln, Germany
@ captain - I know about the salt treatment but not everything. It seems rather drastic and like maybe there would be some negative side effects especially if done too often.
@ Bob - I do rest my pipes between smokes but not that long. Typically I will only smoke a pipe once per day, usually less. After my very occasional cleaning with alcohol I let them rest for 3 or 4 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.