PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
Have any of you long term guys, or (Ahem…) AARP members noticed a decrease in any sensitivity of taste or flavor while enjoying pipe tobacco?

Reading a bit today about how olfactory sensory neurons rapidly decrease as we age. Also, it seems like this phenomenon occurs quicker in men than women.

I’ve got a few years to go, but wonder if people’s experiences are as they age.

Reactions: kcghost

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I notice temporary decreases with "habituation" or "saturation" when I fail to practice moderation. Perhaps something similar is occurring for many as they age.

OTOH, most sensory input signaling / response decreases with significant ageing of the organism...

Reactions: OverMountain

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
That's an interesting question. I've experienced a loss of flavor sensation after significant illnesses, and it's gradually returned. Flavors are more muted when I smoke a lot. When I take a few days off, the flavors are very powerful.
It's interesting, because my sense of taste and smell is still very acute. I got reminded of that on this last trip where we tried out several highly regarded restaurants, Italian and French, and flavors were intense -- and a bit too salty. I could still pick apart most of the ingredients.

I do wonder how much people's love affair with salt is deadening their palates. I gave it up a long time ago and don't miss it, nor add it, as much of what we eat already has a significant amount as part of its make up.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
73 here. I lost most of my sense of taste and smell when I got covid. Now that I've been over it for 1.5 yrs, it's all coming back. Can now tell the difference between EMP and Balkan Sasieni. Now, if I can just avoid covid the second time around.
Just getting to 1.5 mark myself and finally starting to get some flavor, hoping if we get it again there will be some natural antibodies. If there are definitively not , don't anyone tell me I want to live in a fantasy world where you can only loose to the Vid once, :)

Reactions: Jacob74

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Just getting to 1.5 mark myself and finally starting to get some flavor, hoping if we get it again there will be some natural antibodies. If there are definitively not , don't anyone tell me I want to live in a fantasy world where you can only loose to the Vid once, :)
Took me a year. Now two plus years later and fully vaccinated……. diagnosed with it yesterday. So far it’s no fun but nothing like what literally put me down for six weeks the first time. Taste and smell hanging in there - I find myself checking constantly, lol.

Reactions: rsshreck32

doug535

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 28, 2019
Independence, MO.
Took me a year. Now two plus years later and fully vaccinated……. diagnosed with it yesterday. So far it’s no fun but nothing like what literally put me down for six weeks the first time. Taste and smell hanging in there - I find myself checking constantly, lol.
My first bout with it was 3 weeks ago, and I didn't lose taste or smell. Hope you're doing well and get through it quickly.

Reactions: HawkeyeLinus