PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Anyone into tapas? Supposedly they're all the new rage in the food world. I stumbled upon a Spanish restaruant one day seeing "Bar and Grill" and figuring I'd get a nice burger and fries only to findout that it was a Spanish restaruant that serves tapas. I must say I enjoyed it, especially the fact that they're basically appetizers that can be affordably combined to make a meal. My fiance and her mom fell in love with the place when I took them there for dinner one night. If you're in Vegas and wanna stop by to check it out it's called the Firefly.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I've eaten tapas here a few times, but on the whole, places that serve it are few and far between. Anyone ever notice that ethiopian food is a lot like tapas... but better!?

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
That's tapas, its plate after plate of spanish appetizers essentially, and sangria.. pitcher after pitcher of sangria!

Tapas%20in%20Madrid.jpg

stacen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 23, 2011
Here is a go at an explanation without google!!! Tapas is basically spanish for snack or appetizer. Most spanish restaurants have a tapas section in their menus as we have a starters section. the difference being that people will often select only from that section of the menu while having a meal. it is generally just a selectoin of small plates/portions of food that can be hot or cold. there is usually a selection of the pre-prepared plates available and in view behind a counter. Tapas is often served at bars as well. It can be a fun way to get a little variety in a dining out experience. My work has caused me to spend extended periods in Spain with a daily alowance for food and I found my self choosing places with large Tapas sections in their menu quite often. It is ususally tasty dishes, and you get to try a lot of different flavors in one meal. It is usually reatively cheap as well. I could be off base on the technical definition of tapas but that is how I experienced it in Spain.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Mi coctel favorito es el tequila de México y la sangre. Sin embargo, a mi me gusta la cocina real española, especialmente la variedad de tapas. Que rico!
Translate: My favorite Mexican cocktail is tequila and blood. However; I do love real Spanish cuisine especially the variety of tapas. (Mmmm-Yummy!)

Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
I've been to one restaurant in Atlanta. It wasn't Spanish exclusive and was a pretty good place to hang out with friends for drinks as well as a place to sit down and eat. On the weekends, they'd have live bands play.
Found out recently there's a tapas restaurant just outside The Mall of GA. I haven't been to it yet, but will probably try it out soon.

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I used to live off of "the Drive" in Vancouver; aka - yippy hell (yuppy + hippy=yippy), but one bonus was great food...namely a couple of awesome tapas lounges.
Oddly enough, at the same time I lived off the Drive, I had an Etheopian room-mate. Some of their food is great, but man, they make this unripened cheese out of buttermilk that tastes like wet socks, and stinks like rotting vomit (and, of course, my roomie was obsessed with it). Every time I walk into an Etheopian restaurant, thats all I can think of...makes it hard to enjoy a meal.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
We got a really good one here in Jacksonville that was on Food Network on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives called 13 Gypsies. Place is great and I try to eat there about once or twice a month.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Schmitz, I ate at an Ethiopian restaurant once..... once.

The Teff was interesting, but the main dish, some red curry type dish, was so hot that tears were literally rolling out of my face by the end of the meal. Couldn't tell you what it actually tasted like, tastebuds were dead by the second bite.

And then theres the whole eating raw beef thing that just didn't seem right..

sockmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 13, 2011
Decent tapas restaurant here in Houston called "Mi Luna," located in Rice Village.
What's more, it happens to be a block from the best pipe shop in the city.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Here in eastern Pa we don't have much in the way of real Mexican food but we do have very good Spanish and, especially, Portuguese restaurants. Tapas is a fun way to share a variety of dishes with dinner companions and the wines are pretty good and reasonably priced.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Tapas restaurants can be a great time especially if you're with 3 or more people. I've even enjoyed myself at the Firefly on a couple different trips Vegas... Good choice!

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
@lordofthepiperings -
Anyone into tapas? Supposedly they're all the new rage in the food world.
LOL! Tapas were the new rage to me about 20 years ago!
And today, Cerviches Tapas Bar & Restaurant is a 3-block walk for me.

http://www.ceviche.com/
It's funny that many times when I say I was at a Tapas Bar, people think I said topless bar.
@cortezattic -
The only things better than Spanish foods are Spanish chicks.
Totally. I can vouch for that from first hand experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.