PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomnas

Might Stick Around
Jul 10, 2015
What is the difference between tang and sour when it comes to tobaccos? I asked a while ago what a good tangy tobacco was and people suggested mcclelland's 5100. It'a sweet and fruity, but not even slightly sour.
Can you recommend a sour tasting tobacco? One whose sour notes hit the tongue and are present in the retrohale.
Thanks!

drennan

Can't Leave
Mar 30, 2014
Normandy
Tang to me is a sweetish acidic flavour, orange juice is tangy.
Sour is alot harder to describe, to me it's similar to tang in that it's acidic but it's rounder and not sweet; natural yogurt

escioe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 31, 2013
Smoke red Virginias to find tang. Think 5100, most vintages of Christmas Cheer, Red Flake / Red Ribbon, etc.

Smoke orientals, especially Izmur, to find sour. Think McClelland No 24 and especially Pease's Embarcadero.

thomnas

Might Stick Around
Jul 10, 2015
If you've ever had 4noggin's prairie wind, then that sour note that hits the tongue is what i am looking for when i say sour. Maybe it can be called citrus as well. I'm looking for a straight blending va that delivers this.
I've tried mcclelland's 5100 and it's not sour, but it is sweet an fruity.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I agree on the Red / Orange Virginia for more of a tangy sensation and the Izmir/Turkish for sour.
Low Country Waccamaw is a nice Va/Per with added Izmir and great sour notes.
LJ Peretti Tashkent is a great Latakia blend with Turkish and Izmir which is buttery/sour.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If you've ever had 4noggin's prairie wind, then that sour note that hits the tongue is what i am looking for when i say sour.
That is perique you want then. You need to add it to a straight Va sparingly.

thomnas

Might Stick Around
Jul 10, 2015
What about using apple cider vinegar? anyone have any experience with it to increase sourness of a blend?

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
"Maybe it can be called citrus as well. I'm looking for a straight blending va that delivers this."
Sounds like you want Lemon Flue Cured (aka Lemon Virginia). Whole Leaf Tobacco usually has it in stock.
http://wholeleaftobacco.com/Flue-Cured-Virginia-Lemon-1FCV3.htm

thomnas

Might Stick Around
Jul 10, 2015
@jitterbugdude, is there a blend made out of that tobacco leaf? I want to see reviews on what it tastes like.
What are the dominant flavours of this flue cured lemon virginia?

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Butera's Golden Cake and SG Medium Virginia Flake (bulk name) aka Golden Glow in tin form are both exclusively yellow va's, and share a similar flavor profile though the leaf is very different. Both have note's of bread, citrus, a bit of milk chocolate and cafe au lait. Golden Cake is sweeter and has an apple cider vinegar note that is absent in MVF. All McClelland's sourced VA's I've smoked have an acidic note that is exclusive of the fermentation process.

jitterbugdude

Mar 25, 2014
"@jitterbugdude, is there a blend made out of that tobacco leaf? I want to see reviews on what it tastes like."
I'm not sure. I've only bought the whole leaf to play around with. Surely there is a blend with Lemon Virginia in it. I just don't what it would be.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Geez, a lot of blends that contain Virginia have a detectable lemon zest taste -- at least peeking out from behind more dominant flavors.

You can even find it in Oriental forward English blends (Balkans) like Samuel Gawith's Skiff Mixture.
But if you want to start from scratch and develop your own blend, you'll need to experiment with: C&D's Virginia Ribbon; Newminster No. 701 Straight Virginia; P&C's Blending Stoved Black Virginia or Blending Yellow Virginia; and Peter Stokkebye Virginia Long Cut.
Study the blending tobaccos offered at PipesAndCigars.com, and email Russ Ouellette, when you need expert advice.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I don't think I've ever had a blend that I would truly call "sour", but if it's an overpowering, obnoxiously lemony taste you're looking for, try you some Grousemoor. But be warned, it will ghost the hell out of a good briar, so you might want to try it in a cob first. Personally, I didn't like it, but you might.
As for a really tangy blend, try yourself some Mac Baren Roll Cake, especially good with some age on it.

Now that one I really do like!

thomnas

Might Stick Around
Jul 10, 2015
@coretz is the the same stuff: http://www.smokingpipes.com/tobacco/by-maker/stokkebye/bulk/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=46793

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'm not sure! I know the stuff called Virginia Long Cut from the link above is right, and what is called Stokkebye 701 Virginia is the same;

but SmokingPipes.com is kinda vague. Personally, I'd probably go with the stuff from SmokingPipes.com. After all, how many bulks called "Virginia" or "blending Virginia" can Stokkebye market?

Status
Not open for further replies.