PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

murf

Can't Leave
Mar 1, 2013
Something I thought I would share:
I've recently been dumping and/or scraping away the ash every time before I tamp. I have found that this is preserves the flavor best, and prevents that "ashy" taste I get after tamping.
I tried it, even after I'd heard that some ash helps contribute to the coals or "cherry" in the bowl. I still like my way better.
Of course, my method is not always feasible, like when I'm driving.
Thoughts or comments?

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I tend to dump ash at least once a bowl. The only real downside I've found is that if you haven't tamped in a while before removing ash the tobacco below can be loose and is more likely to dump with the ash. A lighter touch when dumping ash is preferred.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I typically only dump ash when I am going for a relight. This is for multiple reasons. The first being, when the initial gas comes out of the lighter, if it is too close to the ash, the ash will fly out of the pipe. I smoke in the mornings on the way to work and I got tired of having ash and burn holes in my dress shirts. I also do it because if there is too much ash in the way, it will prevent from having a good relight. I do not get an ashy taste, and I prefer my baccy almost bone dry. Close to crunchy.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Murf
I agree with your method. I used to just tamp down on ash, but after I tried to dump I found that the smoking is much more flavorful.
Of course it's much harder to do while driving
Allan

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have always preached that dumping ash and then tamping before re lighting will produce a better smoking experience and will make lighting much easier.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I will typically do an occasional light tamping until I get to half a bowl. Then I dump loose ash, tamp the remaining coals & tobac, relight if necessary, and the final half is usually a lovely and flavorful smoke.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Yes I agree with the last three posters. I usually tamp a few times until I have a complete light gray base of ash then it will dislodge with the gentlest of taps. It seems my tobacco always burns down in the shape of an upside down cone so I have to knock down the blackened leaf around the outside of the chamber, tamp softly and relight. Like Harris and soggybob says the second half is easier to light and flavorful.

cavendish36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
| I will typically do an occasional light tamping until I get to half a bowl. Then I dump loose ash, tamp the remaining coals & tobac, relight if necessary, and the final half is usually a lovely and flavorful smoke. |
+1, soggycitybob.

gregbc

Lurker
Jun 30, 2013
I don't tamp too often, maybe 4-5 times a bowl. I usually only dump ash when I need to re-light.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
I usually wait till about 75% of the way down on regular or XL pipes to tap out some ash, and thats when its white and powdery and falls out easily. Small bowls I dont usually tap out unless im having burn problems

Status
Not open for further replies.