PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
D221FE41-4E54-45F2-8B24-B2B976EB5E02.jpeg
My Peterson 305. The Bane of my pipe collection. I originally found the first one in a bait and tackle shop on Cork, Ireland. It suffered many side burns after a year of smoking. I threw it out. I ordered another one. The quality just isn’t there. The air hole is well too high from the bottom. So today I smoked a c-gar and made some mud. I filled in the bottom and I’ll let it dry a few days and give it another smoke. Seriously, preserving the memories of a good trip shouldn’t be more difficult than the trip itself.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Dottle contains condensation and has been "filtering" the bowl full of tobacco. If the taste drops off, get rid of it. I tend to very gently coax the loose ash out and to gently retamp all the way down the bowl using pipe cleaners often. Most times I can smoke most of the tobacco. I'm cheap but not so cheap that I want to be left with a bad taste in my mouth. Oh, and dry that tobacco!!

redz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2021
Gaithersburg, MD
I've noticed that when I get to the bottom of a bowl I can hear a bubbling/gurgling sound, and after finishing the smoke there are unburned flakes of tobacco remaining. These suckers are really caked in, and can hardly be removed by scraping with the pipe tool. Also, the tobacco was taken out of a fresh tin. I'm guessing that I can improve this by allowing the tobacco to dry a bit, and packing more loosely?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
If I have smoked most of the bowl, I'd rather dump the dottle rather than have the last puffs go sour on me. Often I find that there is no or almost no dottle anyway. I guess with experience, you know when a smoke is over without smoking ash.

BSticks

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2019
Kellogg, MN
I've noticed that when I get to the bottom of a bowl I can hear a bubbling/gurgling sound, and after finishing the smoke there are unburned flakes of tobacco remaining. These suckers are really caked in, and can hardly be removed by scraping with the pipe tool. Also, the tobacco was taken out of a fresh tin. I'm guessing that I can improve this by allowing the tobacco to dry a bit, and packing more loosely?
Are you also a wet smoker?

Jun 9, 2018
England
Damn. That's about double what I pay in here. Although I only order online. I'm sure if I bought from a shop they would rake me over the coals.

Yeah, it's not great but things could be worse. In Canada and Australia they pay even more than we do?, and at least the UK has plentiful supplies of Gawith and Germains.

I try and look on the bright side.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Damn. That's about double what I pay in here. Although I only order online. I'm sure if I bought from a shop they would rake me over the coals.
You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

BSticks

Might Stick Around
Nov 22, 2019
Kellogg, MN
You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.
Will do!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Once in a while I wonder why my pipe won't stay lit, and then I realize all of the smokable leaf is gone. Most of the time, my pipe gets ashy at the end, so I dump. It's not worth the hassle of burn to one's mouth or chamber to smoke every little scrap.
yeah that's a good indication it's time to stop. When a relight only gets you a puff or two.