PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
It has been a while since I organized a tamper exchange. Here are the rules: anyone who wants to participate must make a tamper from any material, in any shape, size etc. He then must post a picture of the tamper on this thread. On Saturday, June 5, I will make up a list of everyone that has posted a picture of their tamper. Then I will advise who sends their tamper to whom. The sender is responsible to PM the receiver for mailing address and send it out. Tracking is a good idea. A bowl or two of tobacco would also be a nice idea.
Below is my tamper, made of oak. Obviously, this is not something to put in your shirt pocket, but it would go well on your desk.
We have lots of readers that are outside of the US. If you want to participate, let me know. Depending on interest, I will work something out.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
Here is a picture of the tampers I have received as gifts or in other exchanges. Everyone is different.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
This is a great idea, I wish I had the tools to make such a nice tamper. Could I just buy one,then lie and say I made it! Just Kidding! That mushroom tamper is ultra cool though.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Count me in John. Have this collecting dust. Made from a clear acrylic twin bore stem (I removed the twin bore) and briar with a brass pick.

clear-pipe-stem-tamper-2016-09-17-002-1280x678-600x317.jpg

clear-pipe-stem-tamper-2016-09-17-004-1280x765-600x358.jpg

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I will see if I can put something together. It will not be the usual as I don't have the patience nor desire to carve something. Mine always end up with available parts put together a bit differently.

phxrock

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
I'm in. I'll do something with my limited tool set. One thing though I always have a prob posting pics.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
phxrock, there is a sticky thread on how to post pictures. Once you figure it out, it is easy. If necessary, PM me and I will upload a picture for you.
This is open to all skill levels. I have seen some great tampers made with a pocket knife.

Jun 4, 2014
You can count me in too. I've been so busy I was not sure if I could turn one out, but found a little extra time and managed to turn one out. It needs another coat of finish and a little more polishing, should have the photo up tomorrow.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Here is an old thread for an exchange from a couple of years ago to give you an idea of things that have been done before without a lathe.

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/tamper-exchange#post-345403

Status
Not open for further replies.