PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

TakeThisCobAndStuffIt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2023
Tidewater, VA
I find the acidity to be distracting in an otherwise very pleasant and tasty tobacco. To those who have been around a while, how much will aging reduce the sharpness of the acidity? Is it worth cellaring a bunch or does it lessen just a bit but always remain there as time passes? Basically this would be a top two for me flavor wise without the acidity. With it, it doesn't make my top five which makes buying a bunch marginal unless the aging really cuts it down. What is your experience with aged stuff and how much age is needed?
Thanks, Cob

Reactions: Servant King

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
I'm not sure what you mean by "acidity," but it was one of a handful of blends that stung me. And this was years after I started the pipe so I wasn't a newbie then. So, I put what I had bought aside for nearly a decade. After that, it no longer stung. By then, it was just a small tingle, not painful or annoying, and quite tasty. I don't know if it was the tobacco that changed or me.

Last edited:

TakeThisCobAndStuffIt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2023
Tidewater, VA
By acidity I mean something sharp in the smoke. I get a generally sweet and tasty coupled with a sharpness. I don't get the sandpaper tongue bite from it, but I do get a sensation I have not had with other tobaccos...which I am calling acidity. I found the HH Pure VA to be a bit bland to my taste, but I really like the Virginia Flake. No. 1 is the sweetest and I like it, but I can't get around the sharpness I am describing. I will put up the request for some already aged stuff to see if it's me or the tobacco..

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
#1 is one of my most smoked tobaccos. I’ve found drying it out and smoking really, really slowly help to tame this one.

Alternatively, C&D Virginia Flake & Sutliff Sweet Virginia are similar in taste and cut and might be worth trying. Sweet Virginia is really good and I may even like it better than #1