PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 18, 2015
Hi Everyone!

I was able work out a trade for a stick of Tambolaka and want to give it a try this weekend.

My question is what’s the best way to prep this stuff? The directions on the package say to pull of a piece and steam it for about them minutes, separate and chop or shred it? I get that it has to be separated, this thing is about as hard as a brick, but steam?

I’m wondering if maybe this process releases some of the oils?

plugugly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2015
No help for you here Strange. Every board member who tried the Tambo didn't survive the experience.
Plugugly

Sep 18, 2015
Every board member who tried the Tambo didn't survive the experience. lol, yeah I read thru the old post but didn’t find a lot of actual info other than it’s a head spinner, still there has to be at least one survivor.
@smittyd, as far as I know it’s not available anymore, this stick has been buried in the back of a brothers cellar since 2010

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A generous Forums member gave me a fair sample of Tam, but it was somewhat rubbed out, not plug or rope. Treat it with respect, especially before you have taken its measure, and your measure. Here is where a Group 1 (extra small) pipe can be useful, or just do a partial bowl. Try it after a full meal, and have some liquid in your system. I'm making it sound like it's radioactive, and I got along with it fine. It's full-strength and full bodied flavor, and has high nicotine, so just don't go at it offhandedly. Some will barely notice, others may have a head-reeling experience. Once you get in tune with it, it's a nice full-strength bowl.
Onestrangeone, you had the same problem I had with your avatar. When I clicked on the photo, it was right side up, but it came out sideways, and someone else righted it.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Steam it. I decided to just take a butcher knife to it, and the results were less than spectacular.

rx2man

Part of the Furniture Now
May 25, 2012
I had a pound of it a few yrs ago and it was really wet. One day i go to look at it and mold was everywhere. Ended up having to toss all of it. I realize yours has been around a while already just make sure yours is not too wet....

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Steam it, render it smokeable, and then dry it.
I remember it not having enough flavor but with strong nic.

Sep 18, 2015
<p>I’m gonna go with saltedplug’s advice and steam a chunk of it, of course I will also try it ‘as is’. I followed the link Chasing posted and found a couple reviews, lots of words like dizzy,gut punch, trembles. I’ll let y’all know what happens.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Steam the rod and gently pull it apart. Whilst it is still flexible slice as if you are cutting a rope. Rub in your palm and then add either Condor RR or War Horse RR in equal proportions. Jar it for a week and then smoke the stuff. It has a pleasant nicotine yield and a better flavor profile then when smoked straight.

Sep 18, 2015
@condorlover1, I don’t have the Condor so that’s out, I do have some War Horse Bar, might give that a try. Another brother suggested mixing with Dark Star

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Back in the day, as now, I was a forum member and thus privy to all the buzz in the pipe world. I had discovered the allure of strong tobacco and it had become most of what I smoked. Thus when I read about Tambolaka I immediately ordered a pound, having already decided that that would be my minimum order no matter what I ordered. So I managed to cut enough to smoke despite my unprescribed method, above, and I smoked it for 6-12 months, giving it a good try. But it never took.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
condorlover1:

Javan Cigars in Indonesia.
I have not tried to directly order from Javan. If anyone has ordered from Javan we'd appreciate learning about the process.
Rich @ 4noggins imported the 100 gram bags periodically until about 6 months before he sold 4noggins.

Perhaps the new owner could be persuaded to resume importing Tambolaka if he received enough requests by phone and/or email.

Status
Not open for further replies.