PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

rknoblauch

Lurker
Feb 19, 2016
A place for you all to share your tallest of tales whilst sipping on your favourite blend of Baccy be sure to share what your smoking while giving us all something to take interest in.
Share your stories .

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I once let a young lady suck my big toe. I'll think of a taller tale as I smoke my first bowl ever of WARHORSE. Wait, are we supposed to make things up?

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
A place for you all to share your tallest of tales whilst sipping on your favourite blend of Baccy
I once smoked a bowl of pipe tobacco all the way down to a fine white ash with no relights... :twisted:
Currently smoking Orlik Golden Sliced ... about 3 relights so far :)

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
I read the following story long ago. It was supposedly based on actual occurrences and well documented. I make no claim as to its authenticity. This version of the story comes from http://www.weird-encyclopedia.com/moving-coffins/ and has been edited by myself to correct typos and improve clarity. My apologies for my previous tall tale. I hope this one makes up for it. The story can certainly be enhanced by a nice bowl of Nightcap or any English blend of your choice.
There is a famous legend on the island of Barbados about coffins that are moved by unknown forces. Though some details surrounding the phenomenon are sketchy, the enigma is one that has fascinated researchers for almost two centuries. The events took place in the Chase family vault located in a West Indian cemetery. The vault is situated about seven miles from Bridgetown and is a large structure built for the family and their close friends. It was built roughly half above and half below the ground allowing for protection from the elements. The vault was slowly filled with the dead members of the Chase family. Legend says that Thomas Chase, the family patriarch, was one of the most hated men in Barbados.
The first placed inside the vault was Mrs. Thomasina Goddard in July, 1807 in a simple wooden coffin. The very next year, two-year-old Mary Ann Chase was placed in the vault. Her older sister, Dorcas Chase, was put into the vault on July 6, 1812. Some claim that Dorcas starved herself to death after her father forced her into a depression. A few weeks later her father, Thomas Chase, died and was to be placed into the vault.
When the vault was opened for Thomas's funeral, the party was stunned to find that none of the coffins were in their proper place. The townspeople and family were angered; The theory being that grave robbers found a way into the grave and tossed the coffins about in search of loot. The entrance would have been a problem for robbers, since a gigantic rock slab was cemented in place covering the only entrance. Each time the vault was opened the cement had to be chipped away and several men were needed to move the rock. Eventually, it was decided that local gravediggers had somehow disturbed the coffins. The coffins were restored to their original positions and the heavy lead coffin of Thomas Chase was put in place. The vault was then resealed as it had been before.
On September 25, 1816 the vault was opened for the burial of eleven-year-old Charles Brewster Ames. Similar to the previous instance, each of the coffins had been moved. The two hundred forty pound coffin of Thomas was seemingly thrown from its resting place. The vault was put back in order and resealed once again.
Fifty-two days later, Samuel Brewster was to be buried. This time a large group of witnesses crowded the scene, looking in anticipation for the mystery to continue. The slab of stone which covered the door was carefully examined. No defects were found and the vault was opened. The vault was once again in disarray. Mrs. Goddard’s coffin, the only wooden one in the vault, was badly damaged. It was subsequently wrapped in wire to keep it from completely falling to pieces. Several investigators, including the Reverend Thomas Oderson, examined the vault. Nothing could be found that would indicate a cause for the strange happenings, so the vault was once again restored, cleaned and sealed.
On July 17, 1819 the vault was opened, and once again, the vault was found to be in disorder. The only thing untouched was Mrs. Goddard’s fragile wooden coffin. This time, the governor of the island Lord Combermere, ordered his own professional investigation. The entire vault was looked over and nothing strange could be found. The coffins were restacked and sand was placed on the floor to catch the footprints of the perpetrators. Mrs. Goddard’s wooden coffin was stacked against a wall since it was so frail. The vault was then resealed and personal seals of the governor were placed in the fresh concrete. Everyone on the island waited for the next reopening.
The next opening of the vault was not for a burial but for the Governor’s curiosity. On April 18, 1820, the Governor and several friends traveled to the vault and found his seal unbroken. When the vault was opened, however, it was found that the coffins were in disarray. Some were even flipped upside down. The sand revealed no footprints. The coffins were promptly removed from the vault and buried elsewhere on the island. Upon inspection, the vault was found to contain no water, and no way for wind to enter it. Earthquakes were also eliminated. After all, why would the quakes only affect one section of the chamber and leave the wooden coffin alone?
Records show the Chase vault has since been left empty.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
A guy in a hunters' club meeting starts telling his tall tale: "While looking around for a deer in the forest, I saw that huge deer with 6 legs and 2 heads, I shot him right on its heart and it died instantly. Then I grabbed the legs, put them on my shoulder and ..." waiter interrupts and says that there is a phone call for the guy. He leaves, answers the phone, returns back and asks where he was before the waiter came, the other guy goes "Well, you grabbed the legs, put them on your shoulder." Then the guy continues " Oh, yeah, so I grabbed the legs, put them on my shoulder and then I made that lady scream until the morning."

Jun 4, 2014
Grandpa always told the story of a local family who had a daughter who was born without the sense of smell. They consulted many doctors all who had not cure. Finally they consulted the local Pow Wow (a herbal doctor of the Pennsylvania Germans). The Pow Wow told the father to take the daughter to a cabin they had on the property, then trap a skunk and place it in the cabin with the girl. The Pow Wow told the girl to beat the skunk with a broom daily until she could smell it's odor. The family did this and after the girl had "wore out" six skunks she was cured.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
@derfatdutchman - I love that story. Short but sweet and more than likely true. Now if modern doctors only had the sense to attempt such common sense measures. Minus beating skunks senseless, that is. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.