PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
Are boats readily available at dealerships or is it similar to the car market? I recently had to order a new 2022 Toyota Tacoma truck, expected delivery date is 6-8 months. The only Tacoma I could find locally was $4000 over sticker, so I passed on it. I can wait.

Is the boat market the same? What about used boats? Over priced like cars?
Yes it a a terrible time to buy a boat also even used. People are getting crazy money out of used ones too.

We were boat shopping in Maine in 2020 and the marinas were bare compared to previous years. I talked to an owner at one of them one day and he said they were selling everything they could get their hands on within a few days.
He made the comment good time to sell and terrible time to be looking to buy.

Reactions: scloyd

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'll second the motion on awareness of weather and water temperature. If you are canoeing or kayaking in other than summer water temperatures, a wet suit is a good idea. Any small boat can dump you even if the weather is fair, maneuvering or from other boats' wakes, etc. Hypothermia can be deadly and is often not in the front of boaters' minds.

Alcohol or "medications" are also a serious consideration. A "captain" taking out passengers probably shouldn't even have a buzz going. Children and probably most adults should wear life vests, children categorically, even the good swimmers. Don't assume anyone can swim, especially swimming off a boat.

As pointed out in an earlier post or two, weather is not your friend. Storm fronts, tides, rip currents, and such, should be identified and monitored. Despite the miracle of GPS, a compass is still essential.

Always leave word with responsible people where and when you'll be going, your estimated time of arrival back at the launch site, and keep in touch.

Reactions: monty55 and Ebarber