PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
I know among you guys are some real puffers but I was wondering how does resting work for you guys. I smoke, something like 1 pipe a day, some rare days 2 and usually not every day. After a few days, I either dont have the time for a relaxing smoke (too bad I cant smoke at work!) or feel that my palate could use a break to give me a more satisfying smoke the day after. Anyone is/was on the same train? Does this change with time?
Cheers,
D

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Oh Geez! I smoke 7 or more bowls per day! For me, only 3 or 4 bowls would constitute a rest (and it does increase the pleasure of the next day's puffing, somewhat.)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I don't smoke on Sundays, and occasionally take Saturdays off as well, but otherwise I smoke 3-4 bowls a day. On the odd day that I feel my tongue is overly taxed, I might switch to a Peterson with a steck bit (some folks call it a P-lip), that directs the smoke to the roof of the mouth.
BTW, if you're wondering how I fit in 3-4 bowls a day, I'm a full-time freelance writer who works at home.
Bob

mlaug

Part of the Furniture Now
May 23, 2010
Iowa
I have found this to be true, also. A simple 24 hour break is the best way for me to try a new blend.
I don't really want to be smoking, just to be smoking.
Giving the palate a rest is a good idea. :puffpipe:

rosney

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2012
dnietosi I am in your situation. I don't know that I have ever smoked more than one bowl in a day and usually don't smoke every day. I don't force myself to make it a part of my day, I just have a bowl when the feeling strikes. I find that, especially this time of year, the more frequently I enjoy my pipes the more my sinuses close up, and plays a big part in the frequency of my bowls. I would say don't force it. That is after all one of the things pipe smoking is all about. Just my two cents.

dnietosi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 24, 2012
Yeah! I figure that you need to be able to smoke at work or during your sleep to fit more than 2 pipes a day. XD

austinxpipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 25, 2012
I've been resting for a while purely because I have not had the time to smoke. Our staff got cut at work and I have harder classes this semester at school, so more work and more homework. Woo doggy.

yadan

Can't Leave
Dec 23, 2012
Central Galilee, Israel
cortezattic:

"Oh Geez! I smoke 7 or more bowls per day! For me, only 3 or 4 bowls would constitute a rest (and it does increase the pleasure of the next day's puffing, somewhat.)"
Same for me, and that's why I can't have enough pipes... :lol:

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I am just coming off a two day break, which is not uncommon for me.
Six to seven bowls a week is probably my maximum. It could be spread around anywhere from four to seven days.
If you are just a casual pipe smoker, then it can be difficult to consistently enjoy your smokes.
Two solutions in my experience:
a) Smoke more - you become more accustomed to the flavour of blends and more experienced with their smoking properties. You will, for better or for worse, get more pleasure from the nicotine fix as it relieves your "withdrawal" symptoms and you may find yourself craving the taste of a certain blend. (This is certainly a double edged sword!)
b) Smoke less - your senses will be well rested and more receptive to different tobacco flavours/aromas. Smoking multiple bowls can really lead to palate fatigue and impair the sense of smell quite a bit. (I prefer this route...)
Anyway there is nothing wrong with being a casual pipe smoker. Moderation in all things. You will appreciate each bowl more than someone who smokes 10-12 bowls a day.
With that said, somebody who only smokes once in a blue moon will probably have a hard time finding their occasional bowls very enjoyable. Tobacco can be an acquired taste for some and it is easy to miss out on the subtleties if you seldom indulge...
A big thing that has increased my enjoyment of tobacco is limiting sugar and sweets in my diet.

(The same thing could be said for enjoying fruits/vegetables)
Without all of those processed sweets in the picture, you stand to gain a lot more taste and enjoyment from a sweet Virginia blend than if you'd just had a candy bar or soft drink.

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
It really depends on what I’m doing. Some days I’m working around the house, going places, or spending wife time. So then I get maybe 3 bowls in. When I’m writing or reading something that I’m doing coverage for, I find it relaxes me when I sit back and checking what I wrote or read. So that can be as many as 10 or more bowls if I’m putting in 10 hours that day. In that case I’m doing many relights. Actually brand choices come into play. When it’s something laid back or “PG rated” I may go more to the BBF, FVF side. More exciting and fast pace I’m into stronger blends H&H AK, LS.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I am on a 'healthy eating kick' right now, and hope to keep it going forever.
I find that smoking a pipe keeps hunger away, at least for me.
Some may say this a bad trade-smoking instead of eating. Well, i have to lose weight, and smoking a pipe really helps.
allan

bobpnm

Lifer
Jul 24, 2012
Panama City, Florida
When I was a cigar smoker I never smoked more than one a day. I find pipe smoking to be less intense ( I guess that's the write word) and more enjoyable. I tend to smoke two bowls in the evening most every day. If for some reason I don't have time, I enjoy it even more the next time.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
I smoke 8 - 10 bowls per day and enjoy each one ( I work from home). I have never felt the need to rest. The few times because of being out some where I couldn't smoke or what ever reason I didn't smoke for a day I never noticed any increase in enjoyment when I could smoke. I could see if a person only smoked a bowl or 2 a day may need to rest their palate on occasion and it might improve their enjoyment. I would say do what you enjoy and what works for you.

trailspike48

Jan 15, 2013
I started in Dec. smoking one bowl a day, now I'm smoking 3 bowls a day and sometimes 4. I also find it curbs my evening appetite and is helping me lose weight. Reading this forum is helping me to smoke properly and more enjoyably. garry owen!

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
I started 6/7 years ago. At the time smoking cigars rather rarely. Got a pipe w/in a few months and probably smoked once a month for a while. By the end of year 1 I was probably smoking 1 or 2 pipes a week. Today, I smoke whenever I can. Since I'm a full time musician, I don't spend too much time in an office or another place I can't smoke - a good chunk of my time is spent at home practicing. Although actually smoking while playing doesn't happen to often, having a pipe "running" to puff on between bits is pretty doable. I'd say I average 5 a day.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
If you are happy with how often you smoke, why do you care what others smoke. Who says that 6 times a day is better than once a week? Or only on holidays? If you are content, then it works for you.
Winton

Status
Not open for further replies.