PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
C&D brought burley from the codger OTC category to make it both base and condiment in a wide range of creative blends. This goes way back to their Pennsylvania and Morganton, N.C. days, but has carried through with Jeremy at SP/Laudisi ownership. In some ways, C&D did for burley what McClelland did for Virginia leaf.

May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Maybe it was the B&M shop. Haunted Bookshop, Oriental Silk, OJK, and another who's name escapes me at the moment have been dry. Like maybe bottom of the bag? Not bad, smokable straight from the bag on the way home.
Anything is possible. You made me check my jars when I got home ?
Old Joe Krantz has some moisture in it, though it’s certainly smokeable without further drying. Oriental Silk is always very dry every time I order it. I didn’t have to open that one. My Haunted Bookshop is about like OJK.
Could’ve been a long-opened jar/bag at the tobacconist, or just batch-to-batch variations. No telling.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
The Bourbon Bleu, Oak Alley and Bayou Morning Flake are ones that I'd like to try some day.

Three Friars is the only I've tried, and I loved it. Not sure if it is topped with anything, or what it is cased with, but it has such a nice and subtle soft vanilla-caramel note. Somehow simple while being full, uncomplicated while being intriguing throughout the bowl.

I also have a Bijou cellaring. I'll try to get it to 5 years (currently about 2 years on it). And then I have a few other C&D tins cellaring, plus my fave bulks in jars, including Super Balkan and Stratfordshire. I definitely jive with what C&D are doing, but there have been a few I'd simply never buy again (including Pennington Gap and Autumn Evening).

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
I'm a big fan of C&D blends but have tried only one of the ones on your list, which illustrates what an expansive menu of blends they produce. I like Old Joe Krantz original, Billy Budd, Stratfordshire, Bayou Night, Tuggle Hall, Riverboat Gambler, and a number of others. I received a sample of Briar Fox, but found it a little too mild, though I enjoy some mild blends. I'll be interested to hear what you think about your list of blends.
You and I have very similar tastes.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Maybe it was the B&M shop. Haunted Bookshop, Oriental Silk, OJK, and another who's name escapes me at the moment have been dry. Like maybe bottom of the bag? Not bad, smokable straight from the bag on the way home.
I can say the Bookshop and OJK come a little dry, by design I think. For that reason, they make great stuff and light bowls, but some folks may indeed consider them a little too dry.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
There are a few C&D blends that I like, but for me Bijou is on another level. My current open tin is from 2016, and it is superb. Add in the fact that it's not a special edition and it's even better.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Their 2016 tins make me leary. Especially any thing made between April and August.

I got Bijou as the replacements for 2 tins of Carolina Red Flake that were moldy. So far, no mold with the 1 tin of Bijou I opened (it's fantastic), no idea yet on the other one. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.