PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
Well... In an effort to broaden my tobacco horizons, and try out a few blends from the more mainstream (?) brands, I went on a bit of a sampler binge.

Eight 5g baggies turned up this morning! I seem to have gone overboard on the Peterson blends, but I'm sure the next batch won't be so bad.
Currently, I'm smoking a bulk blend from a tobacconist, I'd rather find something smokeable that I can get anywhere, if I can. Just in case...
So, the inevitable picture:

That'll be (Peterson) Sherlock Holmes, Old Dublin, Irish Whiskey, Nutty Cut and Connoisseur's Choice on the top, and Dunhills Nightcap, Early Morning and Mac Barons Vanilla Cream on the bottom.
I think the appropriate phrase goes something like "My name is Joe, and I suffer from TAD"?

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
@Joeval, that's a nice Peterson's spread. My favourite there is Old Dublin. If you like Latakia, it's for you! If you haven't tried Latakia blends it's a good introduction. Try Peterson's Irish Flake sometime for a taste of real old Irish tobacco.
PS TAD is not a 'disorder', it's entirely normal among pipers!! LOL

boudreaux

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2013
Ahem.... That's quite a sampler collection!
Let us know your impressions of them. I tried Peterson's Sunset Breeze and Irish Oak, and I thought they were good as well. Lots if members have said they liked Peterson's University Flake, and they seemed to generally prefer the Mac Baren Vanilla Flake in flake form, rather than the ribbon cut blend.
After all is said & tried, it's ultimately what suits your palate. Have fun exploring the pipe tobacco world.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
A nice selection there. They wouldn't be from Green's of Leeds (aka Smoke-King) by any chance? An excellent service they provide.

You would be correct! An excellent service indeed. Got to love next day delivery.
I'm keeping note of which ones I've tried, and my impression. No chance I can rely on my memory for so many blends, and I don't want to forget which ones I preferred when I come to order a few of tins.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome and that's a nice selection!
I'm very fond of Dunhill's EMP and have been enjoying my recent go around with Old Dublin. I've have the flake cut of the Vanilla Cream and that's a really nice change of pace for me. Smooth as silk, especially with some coffee or a bourbon...You just need to sip the smoke to get that sweet soft flavor.

james80

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 16, 2012
I love samplers. Peterson Irish Oak is my daily smoke and ages superbly. Vanilla flake is a better smoke than the RR IMO. I received a sampler this morning myself of Royal Jersey Cavendish along with 2 tins of Irish Oak and a tin of Presbyterian Mixture. Enjoy your smokes good sir.

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
@tamer291 - it's a daft bit of UK legislation, tobacco products have to show some sort of "Smoking will kill you, demolish your house and kick your dog" warning. Pain in the arse, and everybody ignores it. This "Smoking Kills" is actually a rather inoffensive one. Most cigarette packs and loose tobacco pouches have a rather grim photo of some sort of cancer on. Either a diseased lung or a rather angry looking throat cancer, usually.
I tested the Mac Baron earlier today, and I'm very impressed. Nice, mild smoke, smooth as anything. Will have to get hold of some more of that...
(Edit: Roth would be correct (as always, it seems?). I'm tucked away in a quiet corner of England. Which is probably why a Peterson was my first pipe as well - we don't really get cobs over here, they seemed like a bit of an oddity when I first saw everyone recommend them on here!)

joeval

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 5, 2013
LOL, I dream of a 28 gram "sample"!

Haha, quite! A 5g sample is just about enough for a couple of bowls, if I'm lucky.
That said, in light of the samples so far, they'll be getting more business from me.

My local (ish) tobacconist will do 12.5g samples, but not online or anything. Have to pop in and ask nicely.
Mac Baron went down very well and just polished off half a bowl of the Pete' Sherlock Holmes blend, very nice indeed. Almost a hint of spice in that one? To me, at any rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.