PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
I hear folks saying "that pipe looks like it will smoke va very well" do certain shapes or sizes of pipes smoke different tobacco better or worse? You have got me couious

Thanks
Jerry

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think narrow diameter chambers work better with flakes in general, and especially Va flakes. I use wide diameter chambers for Burley blends (for me that's mostly C&D's Haunted Bookshop and H&H's LJ Heart Burley). For a blend that's new to me it's pretty much an experiment, and I consider that a wide chamber will admit more oxygen per puff, producing more smoke volume. If the blend has killer nicotine content, it's back to a more narrow bowl. I consider anything greater than 13/16" (~20mm) as in the wide bowl category.
I think wide bowl pipes also favor the more aggressive puffer. I don't see how you could keep a large diameter ember going if you're a "sipper".

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
The smaller bowls are often used to smoke VA flakes and such , as they tend to burn longer . I for one could not imagine smoking a S@G rope in a Nording giant freehand without turning green . It seems that most ARO blends burn faster and are more at home in a larger pipe .

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
It seems that most ARO blends burn faster and are more at home in a larger pipe .
I'll go along with that Igloo.
I tend to smoke English blends in smaller bowls and flakes e.g. Escudo Navy De Luxe in middle sized bowls.
As for looking like a good smoker... I think when I post something like that... I mean that it looks like the pipe is going to be comfortable when smoked. I'm not sure I intend any meaning toward its smoking efficiency.

dd951

Can't Leave
Jun 18, 2010
Lawrence after listening to you sing the praises of 1Q, I tried it, it is now my main smoke, I love it. In my bulldogs and shorter pipes it smokes perfect. In A taller pipe it will smoke about 3/4 way down and A crust will form and the pipe will quit smoking.

The crust is so hard it is difficult to get A pick through it. Do I need to change to another cut for the taller pipes or could it be I need to change my packing on those pipes. Thanks guys
Jerry

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I am going to have to order a bit of 1Q just because it is plugged so often around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.