PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
educate me..

new Fire HD vs Samsung vs Nexus vs ASUS.. etc
I have a desktop rarely used, several laptops mostly used for surfing but getting tired of burned legs. A tablet will be used for surfing, reading/responding to forums, no 'real work'. I have WiFi so don't care about 3/4g options. Is there a reason to not go Fire 8.9 HD? with the HDMI out and Prime looks like a lot of video and music option. The only question I can't find an answer to is can I printer to a wireless printer from the Fire?
Anyhow, any words of wisdom about tablets will be much appreciated,

mrdoody

Might Stick Around
May 3, 2012
MA, USA
i have an iPad2 and an ASUS Infinity (TF700) and an original Samsung 7" Galaxy Tab (nearly-bricked - it's on my list to fix up for the kids).
you can print from most/any of the Android-based tablets, but you'll need to buy some software to do it - $10 to $25 or so. i use "PrinterShare" and it works okay, most of the time. these OS's weren't built for printing, so sometimes it'll try to print raw HTML instead of the web page. and sometimes the PDF renderer can't render newer or messy PDF formats perfectly.
the Samsung 7" tablet was small to type on. you'll want to be comfy with the 8.9" size - that's much bigger than 7" diagonal, but it's also smaller than 9.7" or 10.1" (iPad2, Infinity).
the thing i like about my Infinity is that with the keyboard dock i can bang through emails and the like when i need to - it nearly behaves like a 10"/11" laptop/netbook. and the dock has a big extra battery, so i can do a lot of work on it when i'm traveling on business (instead of lugging my 15" MBP which weights like 800 pounds or something!
doody.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Right now it is really more about how much you are willing to spend and what you would deem a must have.
If your main purpose is just to surf the web they will all do fine. My opinions are below.
1) Fire HD - Runs Amazon's version of Android. Limited number of Apps as compared to the full Google Play market. Great for video and reading content ordered from Amazon. I think HD output doesn't really do anything but increase the price. Are you really going to connect it to your TV? Printing would be an issue. Would be better to save to PDF and email to yourself to one of your computers.
2) Nexus 7 (My pick of the ones you listed) - Produced by Google and built by Asus. Being the Google flagship device means it will always be the first to have the upgrade to the operating system. Also means full access to all the apps in the Google play store. Also means the hardware chosen by Google is the best combination of parts to optimize the usage of Android. With full Google play store means you can download content from Google Play, Amazon, Nook or anynone else.
3) Samsung - Similar to my description of the Fire above but full access to the Google Play store and own version of Android. I think this is a good device but over priced and no where near better option then the Nexus 7 for price or options.
4) All other major brand tablets are the same as the Samsung, excpet for the Nook. Just worse skins of Androd and different technical specs to varrying degrees. The Nook is Barns & Noble's tablet. I think it is a better option then the Fire as it has expandable memory. However, movie and music wise B&N just can't compete with Amazon.
Printing can be accomplished via Bluetooth from any newer tablet if you have a bluetooth compatable printer. However, printing from a program on any tablet is often an issue. I think there are some special Apps in the Play store that help with this but the only way to garuntee access to them is to use the Nexus 7.
Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
You can set your printer up as a cloud printer in Google Chrome and then print wirelessly from your tablet using a few software packages from the market. I have an old Viewsonic G-Tablet that folks still seem to be developing for. As long as they do, I'm happy. As for choices I'd go with the Nexus 7 as well. The one thing we need though is a good pipe app. :)

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I have a Nook Tablet and ordered an Sd card that had the Android OS on it and it works just like the tablet. Then if you reboot, it takes you to the Nook. Have not had any problems yet.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
1) Fire HD - Runs Amazon's version of Android. Limited number of Apps as compared to the full Google Play market. Great for video and reading content ordered from Amazon. I think HD output doesn't really do anything but increase the price. Are you really going to connect it to your TV? Printing would be an issue. Would be better to save to PDF and email to yourself to one of your computers.
not sure what 'apps' I would want other then printing (which is a page or two to save me writing something down) if 'apps are games I have no interest.
probably, as the movie selection is poor even with full blown cable. plus not having cable until recently means I missed a lot of series like Soprano's, Mad Men, Wired, Lost, etc which I would like to catch up on.
2) Nexus 7 (My pick of the ones you listed) - Produced by Google and built by Asus. Being the Google flagship device means it will always be the first to have the upgrade to the operating system. Also means full access to all the apps in the Google play store. Also means the hardware chosen by Google is the best combination of parts to optimize the usage of Android. With full Google play store means you can download content from Google Play, Amazon, Nook or anynone else.
what do web pages look like on 7" screen? Do you think they will becoming out with a 9" Nexus? I read it has 8g the Fire comes 16 or 32 but if everything is in the 'cloud' does memory (within reason) matter?
I wear hearing aids with a device that streams a BT signal directly into my aids in stereo so whichever device needa to have BT.
thanks for the detailed input.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
For what it is worth, I was looking at tablets, but I came to the conclusion that they were too limited. Browsers on some (all?) tablets are treated like mobile browsers. So for ex. if you go to Hulu.com to watch a movie, you have to pay to view, but not on a real computer.
So I opted for a refurbished 11" MacBook Air. Got it for $735 on Apple.com. Comes with a full 1 yr warranty and is a real computer - so there are no limits. You can use any app, not just mobile apps. It's very small, lightweight too.
macbook-air.jpg

steve-jobs-macbook-air-apple-ap.jpg

hawk60ce

Lifer
Jun 11, 2012
I use an iPad (1st gen, yes i was one of those waiting for the shipment to be received at the store) for all general surfing. homework and when i need to add pictures to this forum i break out the macbook. also have my iPhone. I kind of like apple products...

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
I'm getting an iPad2 for work this weekend while I'm at a trade show. It's my first Apple product. I look forward to being fully assimilated.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
It pains me to say it but get a Ipad 2 . I will no longer buy ASUS products as several of thier mother boards have failed me often taking out other componets in my gaming rigs over the years . And Android should stay with phones although I did a double boot on the wifes Nook with a sim card .

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
not sure what 'apps' I would want other then printing (which is a page or two to save me writing something down) if 'apps are games I have no interest.
probably, as the movie selection is poor even with full blown cable. plus not having cable until recently means I missed a lot of series like Soprano's, Mad Men, Wired, Lost, etc which I would like to catch up on.
what do web pages look like on 7" screen? Do you think they will becoming out with a 9" Nexus? I read it has 8g the Fire comes 16 or 32 but if everything is in the 'cloud' does memory (within reason) matter?
I wear hearing aids with a device that streams a BT signal directly into my aids in stereo so whichever device needa to have BT.
thanks for the detailed input.
I would definitely go for the Nexus 7 if you don't need a bigger screen and/or HDMI out. You can get it with 8 or 16GB but as you say, most stuff is in the cloud so not necessarily very important depending on how you use it. 7" does a good job for most things, but some prefer 10". I say go to a store and feel them up, that's the only way to know what you prefer - the mobility and comfort of a 7" or the size of a 10". Despite it having nice hardware and not a bad price I wouldn't go for the Kindle unless I was already in the Amazon ecosystem. Same with iPad - no point in locking yourself up with limited options for a product that doesn't even have any real advantages. Stay open and enjoy the freedom you retain instead.
The problem, I guess, would be connecting the device to the TV. It's possible with an Android device without HDMI out, but you'll need some form of media link device (such as the HTC one, not sure if it works with all devices but I imagine so). If you prefer built-in HDMI out then your options are more limited and unfortunately the Nexus 7 isn't one of them. Kindle Fire HD, the higher-end ASUS tablets, etc.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
When I said "Apps" it does mean games but it also means much much more. Their are apps for just about everything. Calculator, Units of measure converters, Cookbooks, printing apps, word processing apps, I could list things forever.
Yes, you can surf the web using the browser only but many sites have their own app and the experience of the app (often but not always) is much better then using then using a browser. They build more interactions and capabilities into the app to make your experience easier.
A couple of examples of what I mean.
Ebay has an App, it is available for Android and Apple. Using it is much easier then the website. You have easier access to your saved searches, purchase history and watch list and your screen isn't cluttered with Advertisements that get in the way.
CNet has a great app. I would actually suggest you go there and do some research on tablets there and see what the experts think. For me, there website has so much info it is often hard to navigate but their app presents their content in a way for me is much better
I am sure you email. If you have multiple email address there are many apps out there where you can enter all your information into it and get all your emails in one spot without having to go and check each one individually.
My recomendation is still to get the Nexus 7. With this you will have access to all the apps in the Google Play store. The Fire would restrict this.
The comments about the iPads are valid. They are very good products, I actually have the first generation iPad. I also have a Nook and will be getting a Nexus 7 soon. I like the iPad but to me it gets heavy after a while and the really good apps are often cheaper or completely free in Google Play then in the Apple Store.
You asked what website look like on a 7" inch screen. In my opinion not much different then on a 8" or 10." You can zoom in or out and in reality most site just have advertising on the edges of the screen. I usualy zoom in so I don't see the sides. But, this is where you need to go and play with the devices before you buy and see what you really want.

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
You mentioned about the TV series. If you get the Fire you will be limited to Amazon content only. If you get any Android device that has access to the full Google Play store you will have access to many apps that you can use. I will list some really good ones down below. Depending on who your cable prvider is, they may also have their own app giving you access to a whole lot of online content. Comcast has an xFinity app that is just great.
Also, if you really want to stream to a TV there are ways but not anything simple using Android yet. Google is working on a device to stream wirelessly from any Android device. Apple does have the Apple TV device which you can stream from an iPhone or ipad wirelessy with Airplay. If streaming to your TV is a priority, then for now, this is the way to go.
Netflix

Hulu

ABC Player

HBO Go

Crackle

Blockbuster

Amazon

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
the more I research the more I'm inclined to go the way of 'numbersix' I'm thinking I may go back to my original plan and get the 13" ASUS or the 11.6 Acer.. None of the tablets seem like they a really more my then a way to play games or sell apps. I have a Kindle KB that works perfectly as an e-reader.
thanks for the education...

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Interesting thread. Just today I bought a 10" ACER net-book running Windows 7 to replace my ASUS 10" Android tablet. Here is why. No real keyboard. No mouse hover in webpages that have info tucked away in mouse hover. Can't do Outlook for my email accounts. No MS Office. So I am putting the ASUS tab on EBay tomorrow and I now have my new ACER in my home network, it is like a feather to carry, connects anywhere, does all the things I want. It is a Windows/Apple world, and if you want the most flexible working (whatever) get a real PC that is small, like one of the Net-books (yes I am not an I-whatever guy). I have 3 other PC's at home for real heavy work, I just needed something for when I was out and the tab just didn't do it. Just my 2P.

ovidsmuse

Lurker
Sep 12, 2012
I have two Nooks, an Ipad and an ASUS Transformer and have used the Nexus 7. For the price, and with the option of adding the keyboard with extra battery the ASUS Transformer is pretty hard to beat. Also, this forum works great on the android version of Chrome! (For anyone wondering why I have so many, they are reference devices.)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I have a Samsung Galaxy and like it to a point. I love it for the Kindle reader and it's light weight, but I do not like it for surfing the net. I hate typing on the keyboard and the browsers are not that great. Websites don't work the same and the small screen can be a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.