PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I’m a fan of Semois. I just tried HH Rustica for the first time the other day. I would consider Rustica a degree below Semois in terms of flavor and strength.

But if I had to compare Semois to anything, it would be Rustica. Imagine Rustica amped up to 11.

Does anyone else have a similar experience with both blends?
Yes, absolutely.

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
I’m a fan of Semois. I just tried HH Rustica for the first time the other day. I would consider Rustica a degree below Semois in terms of flavor and strength.

But if I had to compare Semois to anything, it would be Rustica. Imagine Rustica amped up to 11.

Does anyone else have a similar experience with both blends?

Dang, what an endorsement. I've never smoked HH Rustica but now I have to try it.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
get it. For one the price tag isn't really that steep. Don't think of it in weight but as a solid brick of tobacco. It's a brick of densely packed perfectly dry tobacco. I brick of that with constant smoking lasted me a longer time then 28 bucks of any other tobacco would have.

I’m in the same boat, I’d love to try Le Petit Robin, sure $28 in this world isn’t much, but it sure would be nice to not have to spend this much just to sample something I might not like.

I don’t want cigar notes, but it’s my understanding this is also lighter and sweeter. hmm 🤔

Reactions: Friendly Piper

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
I’m in the same boat, I’d love to try Le Petit Robin, sure $28 in this world isn’t much, but it sure would be nice to not have to spend this much just to sample something I might not like.

I don’t want cigar notes, but it’s my understanding this is also lighter and sweeter. hmm 🤔
It has a mineral taste to me, almost as if you can taste its geographical distinctiveness. I think that the burley earthiness gets more pronounced with age but also the sweetness. I don’t know that it reminds me of cigar, maybe very slightly. I smell a nice cereal/bran fruity sweetness in my jar that is from 4/20. That brick really really goes a long way… I think it’s worth the gamble based on the unique cut and its novelty. It’s hard to come by something so singular.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Don’t forgot about kiwi semois bruv 🤙🏼

I cannot believe that I forgot that!

Fellows, I did have the privilege of trying leaf grown in NZ from semois seed.

Let me just find my notes, here...

"Notes of straw, leather, and the smell of baking brownies (yet without the sweetness)."

It also blended well with a VA style leaf called Staghorn (my favorite Kiwi leaf) in a mixture that Ahi calls Blackbird.

Anyway, I'll be interested to try the Belgian parent stock and see how it compares.

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
I cannot believe that I forgot that!

Fellows, I did have the privilege of trying leaf grown in NZ from semois seed.

Let me just find my notes, here...

"Notes of straw, leather, and the smell of baking brownies (yet without the sweetness)."

It also blended well with a VA style leaf called Staghorn (my favorite Kiwi leaf) in a mixture that Ahi calls Blackbird.

Anyway, I'll be interested to try the Belgian parent stock and see how it compares.
Sounds extraordinary and worth the trip from the neighboring hemisphere.

geoffs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 21, 2022
Ontario
Just trying this for the first time and wanted to comment. I was hesitant to order it because I'm not much of a burley guy. When people say it's like nothing else, they're not kidding. I get earth, mineral, incense, nuts, some faint cocoa... it evolves as you go. It also burns hot as hell and forces you to slow down and savour it. What an amazing smoke. It's rough but not harsh. If you enjoy the pure flavor of tobacco, you won't regret it.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Just trying this for the first time and wanted to comment. I was hesitant to order it because I'm not much of a burley guy. When people say it's like nothing else, they're not kidding. I get earth, mineral, incense, nuts, some faint cocoa... it evolves as you go. It also burns hot as hell and forces you to slow down and savour it. What an amazing smoke. It's rough but not harsh. If you enjoy the pure flavor of tobacco, you won't regret it.
Great description!