PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
Count me as one more devoted fan of the Vincent Manil Samois and yet another voice encouraging you to try it.

I can't speak to any other sources of Samois, though. Has anyone here smoked Samois not from Vincent Manil that they could comment on?

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
Semois comes in many (six, I think) grades, all of which taste distinctly different.

The top stuff is quite good while being like nothing else on Earth, while the lower stuff is basically crap. Traditionally used as a cheap cigarette filler.

So. A photo of the package you're talking about would keep this thread going in a straight line early on. :)
003-666-0002.6245.jpg

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
I blend the medium cut with the finer cut, reserve du Patron. Makes it burn perfect.

I haven't tried the blue one yet, I'll add a brick to the next order.

Reactions: Friendly Piper

ADKPiper

Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
OK.
Smoking my first bowl full.
Definitely different.
I do like it,
Can't really find the word for the particular taste.
It almost tastes like what I imagine that it would taste like if you smoked tobacco with some Oolong tea mixed in.
OK I dig it.
I don't find it overly strong.
I smoke a lot of Burley.
I wouldn't say that it's stronger that Haunted Bookshop.
It's good. I get some of the typical burley flavor but something extra.
A spice taste.

Mrs. Pickles

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2022
AZ, USA
OK.
Smoking my first bowl full.
Definitely different.
I do like it,
Can't really find the word for the particular taste.
It almost tastes like what I imagine that it would taste like if you smoked tobacco with some Oolong tea mixed in.
OK I dig it.
I don't find it overly strong.
I smoke a lot of Burley.
I wouldn't say that it's stronger that Haunted Bookshop.
It's good. I get some of the typical burley flavor but something extra.
A spice taste.
Digging that oolong comparison.

ADKPiper

Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
Manil's Semois has haunted my SmokingPipes shopping cart for at least a year. I love that it's such a small and unique operation but that $28 price tag has never made the checkout cut. Someday!
Yeah I did the same thing.
Eventually bought it.
It is a pretty generous portion.
I filled 2 jars with it and since it is semi dry, it's a good amount of tobacco.

ADKPiper

Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
I don't know.
I smoked this for my first bowl of the day and my thought was "I could unwrap one of my wife's cigs and smoke it in my pipe and it wouldn't be very different".
It's OK. But right now it doesn't seem as interesting. Nothing objectionable. But nothing to write home about.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I’ve tried a couple of semois blends. Didn’t do anything for me to be honest. Much prefer the shags from Gawith Hoggarth’s. Like Belgium itself, I found semois to be a little bit strange & rather pointless.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
There was an article about Semois in The New York Times, a feature article, and I figured I'd never get a chance to try it, but I guess the article created a demand, so I was amazed when it showed up in the U.S. A member here sent me a sample, and wow, for a burley devotee it is amazing. Yes, packed dry as a bone, so you get all tobacco and no moisture, and it keeps well. If you enjoy it, it is highly nuanced, a harmony of flavors in a single leaf.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Manil's Semois has haunted my SmokingPipes shopping cart for at least a year. I love that it's such a small and unique operation but that $28 price tag has never made the checkout cut. Someday!
get it. For one the price tag isn't really that steep. Don't think of it in weight but as a solid brick of tobacco. It's a brick of densely packed perfectly dry tobacco. I brick of that with constant smoking lasted me a longer time then 28 bucks of any other tobacco would have.

ADKPiper

Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
get it. For one the price tag isn't really that steep. Don't think of it in weight but as a solid brick of tobacco. It's a brick of densely packed perfectly dry tobacco. I brick of that with constant smoking lasted me a longer time then 28 bucks of any other tobacco would have.
Yes I did find that when I opened it and broke it up it was a lot of tobacco.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Yes I did find that when I opened it and broke it up it was a lot of tobacco.
I bought it because I thought I like experiencing new things even if they turn out to be something I don't want to repeat. But I thought man this is expensive stuff. And it lasted a long time even with giving a friend a jar of the stuff because I thought he had to try it since he just picked up a pipe but we've smoked a lot of cigars together.