PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobguy

Preferred Member
Oct 18, 2013
So, today I popped open a jar of 2012 Low Country Waccamaw.
The tobacco was still quite moist and just covered in plume.
Stewed fruit and a spicy, almost "hop" smell permeated my nose.
The broken flake rubbed out easily and dried within 20 minutes.
For the first bowl, I loaded up a Meerschaum and put a match to it.
The Oriental, which I've read is Izmir, really takes the lead with it's Sweet & Sour / Woodsy notes. This is definitely the source of the "hop" smell I mentioned earlier.
A healthy dose of Perique shows up in second place with dark, stewed fruit flavors rather than pepper.
The Red Virginias dominate the lighter leaf present with a constant earthy, musty flavor that just stays in the background, peeking it's head to the surface with some sweetness every now and then.
Throughout this smoke, a familiar flavor kept pulling at me ... I know this from somewhere! I loaded up another bowl, in a cob this time, and it clicked. If you were to take GLP Triple Play and add a layer of Izmir instead of the Kentucky ... Waccamaw!
In conclusion, this is a good Va/Per that has been made quite unique by the addition of Izmir. If you like IPA beers and Va/Per's ... give it a try!

beefeater33

Preferred Member
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Great Review Darin!

I have not tried this one yet, but I'm a BIG fan of VA/Pers & BIG Hoppy IPA's!!

Love GLP's triple play too....

Of late, I've really been digging the orientals............ :)

cobguy

Preferred Member
Oct 18, 2013
Thanks Matt ... This one sounds like it may be right up your alley!
BTW ... have you tried the newest Sierra Nevada IPA called Hop Hunter? Tasty! :P

beefeater33

Preferred Member
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
^ Haven't seen that one yet......

I don't think I've ever had a bad IPA from Sierra Nevada. I will keep my eye out for that one. I remember when Hoptimum came out--- WOW!! Torpedo Extra is a regular for me, and been enjoying alot of the Stone offerings of late! :worship:

fnord

Preferred Member
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Cob:
I'm glad to see other folks enjoying Low Country product.
I can't speak to Cooper, Santee or Waccamaw, but I'm a huge fan of L.C. Black. So few smokers here talk about this company that I always wonder, in spite of their pedigree, if they'll fold with a whimper.
I've been seriously piping for seven years and - after numerous starts, fizzles & stops - LCB is a blend I'm cellaring. I truly hope your Waccamaw is just as worthwhile, although I'm sure it is.
Fnord

Status
Not open for further replies.