Swelling Tins of Tobacco, Found One Popped.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

So what exactly is being released that causes the bulge? C02?

Ive noticed when I jar tobacco that the longer its been closed the more of a vacuum it seems to put on the lid. Why would there be negative pressure in the this case but positive pressure in a sealed tin?
I have no idea. That’s why I asked all of the questions. Why don’t the flat tins do that?
I mean…. we know why GLP’s tins do that…. because of black magic, but why C&D?

• Haha
Reactions: magicpiper

M. Fischer

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
Houston, Texas
So what exactly is being released that causes the bulge? C02?

Ive noticed when I jar tobacco that the longer its been closed the more of a vacuum it seems to put on the lid. Why would there be negative pressure in the this case but positive pressure in a sealed tin?
I've noticed the same on my jars.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Most of my C&D tins are buldging. I always chalked that up to the good things happening with age inside. Never had one bust.
I did recently find a bad tin of Mac Baren Old Dark Fired. It was one of their 3.5oz square tins. Started noticing a progressively stronger BBQ smell coming from my cellar. I knew I had a bad egg in there so I started looking. I grabbed the old dark fired tin to investigate and the lid came off like it was just laying on top. The seal on the inner lip of the lid was rusted and flaking off. Tobacco was dry as baby powder. Keep an eye on those square tins, fellas!

M. Fischer

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
Houston, Texas
Most of my C&D tins are buldging. I always chalked that up to the good things happening with age inside. Never had one bust.
I did recently find a bad tin of Mac Baren Old Dark Fired. It was one of their 3.5oz square tins. Started noticing a progressively stronger BBQ smell coming from my cellar. I knew I had a bad egg in there so I started looking. I grabbed the old dark fired tin to investigate and the lid came off like it was just laying on top. The seal on the inner lip of the lid was rusted and flaking off. Tobacco was dry as baby powder. Keep an eye on those square tins,
Thanks for the heads up on the square tins.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
? I have somewhat experienced that already. In 2017 I we were hit by the hurricane Harvey flood with 5' of water. in the middle of destroying my home my tobacco cellar was destroyed tins and jars floated off and the few I found lost the labels and a few had water in them. So doing a leak test with water is a great sign the seal broke lol.
Shit man, where are your priorities? :eek:

Last year when we were hit with severe floods here in NSW, my area was put on alert to be prepared to evacuate, with the advice to pack "only essentials".

Essentials? Good advice. So I packed all my tobacco, 40 of my favourite pipes, my 'green' medicine and was ready to go.
[Oh and my dog of course. A bloke could not be expected to watch his 'essentials' 24/7]

Sorry to hear you went under.
Since the floods here, many are now jacking their houses up above the flood level.

M. Fischer

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
Houston, Texas
Shit man, where are your priorities? :eek:

Last year when we were hit with severe floods here in NSW, my area was put on alert to be prepared to evacuate, with the advice to pack "only essentials".

Essentials? Good advice. So I packed all my tobacco, 40 of my favourite pipes, my 'green' medicine and was ready to go.
[Oh and my dog of course. A bloke could not be expected to watch his 'essentials' 24/7]

Sorry to hear you went under.
Since the floods here, many are now jacking their houses up above the flood level.
We were in an area that had never flooded and the water came up during the night when people were sleeping. when we realized water was in the house it was at knee level and the vehicles were undrivable. we like many others left by boat or military trucks. by the time we were picked up the water was at 5' where we lived. I lost 2 walls in the house and what did not float off sunk. It was a mess, never wat to relive it. It took 15 months to rebuild fighting insurance and fema

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
We were in an area that had never flooded and the water came up during the night when people were sleeping. when we realized water was in the house it was at knee level and the vehicles were undrivable. we like many others left by boat or military trucks. by the time we were picked up the water was at 5' where we lived. I lost 2 walls in the house and what did not float off sunk. It was a mess, never wat to relive it. It took 15 months to rebuild fighting insurance and fema
Aww that blows chunks big time.
Must have been quite alarming and disorientating waking up at night to a flooded home.
Glad to hear that you and yours got out safe and the bastards [insurance co's, ugh] finally met their responsibilities.

The cretins who allowed my suburb out here in the Hawkesbury to be developed, did so knowing that we could go under in a 1 in 100 year flood, building a Flood Evacuation Route through the bush at the highest ground.
Last years flood was quite the test.
Although the main thoroughfare into our suburb went under, we weren't totally cut-off.

They still haven't learnt a thing.
Our brand spanking new 'flood proof' $100 million bridge - that was intended to replace the old historical bridge that had endured many floods over the years - went under just weeks upon it's opening, despite being warned that it was not high enough and placed where it would be useless in a flood.

Reactions: M. Fischer

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Most of my C&D tins (and ones produced by them) aren't very old and seem to be fine. But I did just notice a two year old tin of Star of the East flake that's a bit more bulged than the rest. I'm not ready to open another tin (too many open right now), but it may be the next one to be opened. I've been wanting to try this, and two years of age ain't a lot, but it probably will have tamed the latakia a bit.

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
I've had older tins get puffy, but never anything that looked like it was going to explode. The only C&D I have cellared is some old Bow-Legged Bear in 1lb, 8 oz and 2 oz tins, none of which show any sign of swelling. Tins are stored in my basement which stays consistently in the low 70s.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Having had both, do you taste a discernable difference between the two? I've been looking to buy an 8oz tin to age of one of these blends but cannot make up my mind which to try first.
Well... I'll say this. The Opening Night of recent years is a bit different than older tins. CD got new cutting machinery quite a few years back so the appearance differs.
I just opened a tin of Opening Night from 2012 and it's quite tasty. Much better than newer production I've sampled recently.

Ive never actually tried Union Square older than 2 or 3 years, so I can't speak to that. I'm sure it's just as good. You won't be doing bad either way.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

VegetableSpoons

Might Stick Around
Sep 3, 2021
Harford, Maryland
Well... I'll say this. The Opening Night of recent years is a bit different than older tins. CD got new cutting machinery quite a few years back so the appearance differs.
I just opened a tin of Opening Night from 2012 and it's quite tasty. Much better than newer production I've sampled recently.

Ive never actually tried Union Square older than 2 or 3 years, so I can't speak to that. I'm sure it's just as good. You won't be doing bad either way.
Thanks for the advice, I haven't tried many straight Virginia flakes other than Best Brown #2 so I've been wanting to get into those blends more.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
A question I have not seen a definitive answer to: why do some of these pull-tab style tins (C&D etc) swell and others not? I have same blend from different years and batches but some are bulging (top and bottom!) while others have no change. Is it a sign that some foreign matter got in the tin when sealed? What accounts for the difference?