Swelling Tins of Tobacco, Found One Popped.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I had a couple of GL Pease Navigator tins that had bulged so I opened the tins and the wooosh was all I needed to hear. The tobacco was in perfect shape and it tasted great. I have never had a tin from any mfg loose it's seal, doesn't matter what shape or how old the tin was.

M. Fischer

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
Houston, Texas
I had a couple of GL Pease Navigator tins that had bulged so I opened the tins and the wooosh was all I needed to hear. The tobacco was in perfect shape and it tasted great. I have never had a tin from any mfg loose it's seal, doesn't matter what shape or how old the tin was.
Thanks, I have heard of tins popping, this is the first for me. I am okay with it and by no means am I holding the manufactures responsible.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I have some of the GLP tins that are 4 or 5 years old and they seam to be fine. What's funny about this the tins that are swelling are mostly Virginia tobaccos in them.
Makes sense considering Virginia leaf is the most prone to fermentation.
I've got some Union Square tins from 2017 that are beginning to get bulgey. The most swollen are the Opening Night tins I have. Two from 2016 are looking nice. I have another from 2012 that is just about stretched out to the breaking point. Can't wait to open that one.

jon11

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2013
Exactly. I’ve never had one lose a seal and some look like hockey pucks

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

M. Fischer

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
Houston, Texas
Makes sense considering Virginia leaf is the most prone to fermentation.
I've got some Union Square tins from 2017 that are beginning to get bulgey. The most swollen are the Opening Night tins I have. Two from 2016 are looking nice. I have another from 2012 that is just about stretched out to the breaking point. Can't wait to open that one.
?????

M. Fischer

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
Houston, Texas
I've got a couple old C&D/Pease tins that are bulging, but no smell, so it's just good ole fermentation byproducts.
Since I posted this morning I went back through my cellar and pulled all of the tins that are bulging and have them in a area so I can watch them incase I lose a seal. Good old tobacco farts have them bulging out on both sides, its crazy lol.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore
Since I posted this morning I went back through my cellar and pulled all of the tins that are bulging and have them in a area so I can watch them incase I lose a seal. Good old tobacco farts have them bulging out on both sides, its crazy lol.
You could store them under water, so that if they leaked, you’d see the bubbles. Of course that means that you have to put the water in a clear container, maybe a really tall glass aquarium, You’d want it tall, so you’d notice the bubbles, and they’d have a long way to float up to the surface. This would make it more likely you’d see them…. before the water seeped in and soaked your tobacco.
… like maybe six feet tall.

YMMV puffy

M. Fischer

Lurker
Jul 31, 2021
Houston, Texas
You could store them under water, so that if they leaked, you’d see the bubbles. Of course that means that you have to put the water in a clear container, maybe a really tall glass aquarium, You’d want it tall, so you’d notice the bubbles, and they’d have a long way to float up to the surface. This would make it more likely you’d see them…. before the water seeped in and soaked your tobacco.
… like maybe six feet tall.

YMMV puffy
? I have somewhat experienced that already. In 2017 I we were hit by the hurricane Harvey flood with 5' of water. in the middle of destroying my home my tobacco cellar was destroyed tins and jars floated off and the few I found lost the labels and a few had water in them. So doing a leak test with water is a great sign the seal broke lol.

? I have somewhat experienced that already. In 2017 I we were hit by the hurricane Harvey flood with 5' of water. in the middle of destroying my home my tobacco cellar was destroyed tins and jars floated off and the few I found lost the labels and a few had water in them. So doing a leak test with water is a great sign the seal broke lol.
Sorry about your flood. We just have tornados here, which just means everyone in the neighborhood rounds up all of the tins strown about the block, and we divide them back up to sort out whose was whose.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
So what exactly is being released that causes the bulge? C02?

Ive noticed when I jar tobacco that the longer its been closed the more of a vacuum it seems to put on the lid. Why would there be negative pressure in the this case but positive pressure in a sealed tin?

Reactions: M. Fischer