PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Something about the silence tells me peck is serious about this Durango; standby for the roar of a Hemi.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
I just got rid of a Nissan Armada for an Acura 2014 MDX. The Armada was a great ride. The MDX seats 4 1/2 not 7. The 3rd row too small for my 5'6" son. The Armada got 15 mpg where the MDX is 22-24. I'd take the extra room and comfort of the Armada over the gas mileage. I also have 2 great Danes that stood tall in the Armada and their shoulders rub the roof of the MDX. No fun cleaning fur from the ceiling.

Dec 24, 2012
I would definitely get the Hemi if I went for the Durango. Even though the wife will be the one to drive it most often, I want the power for the odd time I take the wheel. I will take power over fuel economy any day of the week, lol.
What I have read about the Pilot is that it is very badly in need of an update, with the worst interior in the class. I am intrigued by the 4runner, but my one and only experience with Toyota was by far the worst experience I have ever had with a new car, and I promised myself I would shun Toyota for all eternity. I asked my wife about the Subaru, and she assured me that it is a lesbian car and she didn't want to send the wrong signal, lol. Seriously though, I googled it and Lesbians do seem to like their Subarus. Very odd.
I have to say, to my eyes, the best looking SUVS in no particular order are the new 2014 Durango, the new 2015 GMC Yukon Denali, and the new 2015 Escalade. If I was driving it daily instead of the wife, I would probably go for the 2015 Yukon Denali or the 2015 Escalade.

larrylegend

Lurker
Jan 3, 2014
I would second the 4Runner, they are typically some of the most reliable vehicles in their class. They get average fuel economy, are smaller than a Yukon/Navigator and perform well on road and in snow. Also, they make a larger vehicle called the Sequoia that is comparable to the Yukon/Suburban vehicles. I am a fan of Toyota for the reliability. I have a 1999 4Runner with 160k miles on it and haven't had any trouble with it other than maintenance. FWIW I have a friend who is 6'8" and 375lbs and he just got a 2011 4Runner over other mid sized suvs because he fit better in it.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I asked my wife about the Subaru, and she assured me that it is a lesbian car
My wife started to laugh and blew her drink thru her nose! She says that the L's have rainbow bumper stickers and dog restraint gates between the back and front seats - vs - Macy and Nordstrom's shopping bags in the back seat like she has.
Seriously, we've had 3 Subaru's - sold 2 of them around 250,000 miles and people were glad to have them. (The current one has 217,000 and is just now feeling broke-in). My folks have had 2, and my daughter and son-in-law have had 3 also. Can't beat them in the snow. That said, I think all the models are too small for your needs.

Got to go help wipe up the pop she spewed on the walls . . .

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
#1 Ford, #2 Chevy/GMC products. Only because I did sell them all, never had a problem with all the Fords I have driven in the last 38 years. But I will say that the GM products drive more like a car than a SUV, but you own a Ford truck so you know that they don't drive like a truck anymore either.

Durango not good & I love the old Chrysler products with "Hemi", like something with 426 in front of it.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I grew up in Detroit and lived there until I was almost 40. For business reasons I had to drive a big-3 car. Talk about pieces of crap that spent more time in the shop than on the road. I'll never buy another one as long as I live.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
plateauguy, I bought my first Subaru almost eight years ago and had a lot of warranty work on it. It was built in

the U.S., Lafayette, Indiana, I think. I had two go-arounds on the a.c.; a blown wheel bearing in the first 40K miles;

two engine fans replaced. It's the last Legacy station wagon they made, and has a lot more style than the current

Outback and Forester, streamlined and elegant. The upside is that the interior, after eight years, looks almost new.

Except for a few parking lot dings, the body is smooth and the finish good. But with only 83K, it needed a new

CV boot, and the shop tells me it needs new head gaskets and a new timing belt. So I am not necessarily looking

forward to enjoying the 200K miles many seem to get out of their Subes. I do love it for versatility, 4WD stability,

the boxer engine with a low center of gravity for evading wrecks, and the wagon configuration for hauling stuff

without buying a big lunker. The ride is extremely comfortable for a compact; I call it my Japanese Buick.
American cars get no respect. Those old "aerodynamic" Ford Taurus's were war horses; some of the 80s and 90s

models are still hauling around. They weren't thrifty on gas, but they kept moving, in many cases. I have yet to own

an "American" brand car. Some cultural problem with the dealers, who seem resistant to talk or deal with me, whereas

Nissan and Subaru salespeople will come out at closing time and bring brochures. Some of the Am-brand dealers

won't even say hello. 1970s through the present. Shrug.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
I have a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. Much more in initial cost but it gets 26-28 mpg routinely no matter how I drive. Very quiet, very comfortable and it has the third row of seats that the 4-Runner has as well (and is a smaller vehicle that parks well). Lots of bells and whistles too. Whatever you decide it needs to fit you and your stuff.

Spencer

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
peck, Consumer Reports just issued their 2014 Best Cars issue (April 2014). We have a subscription so I rec'd mine in the mail and don't know if it's on the newstands yet. Just sayin'.

dj11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2013
We're shopping for my wife as well. She wants an economical SUV... yeah, good luck with that... I have a Honda that has over 200,000 miles and have looked at the Pilot for her. I also looked at the Ford Edge Hybrid but am not sure it will be big enough. With two kids, two dogs(one a Gold Retriever) and lots of traveling the demand for a roomy SUV is a must. I also looked at the Jeep Grand Cherokee and it is very nice.

pipetraveler

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2014
I've been a professional specialized auto carrier for quite a few year and have driven EVERY SUV available. I know what I'm talking about. My recommendation to all is without a doubt the Buick Enclave check it out. Any questions contact me. Don't be fooled by all the wanna be SUV vehicles out there. Pipetraveler

Dec 24, 2012
Thanks for all the input. After kicking tires for a few weeks, I decided to forgo the third row and order a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The inlaws recently picked up a mini-van, so I figure we can use that when I have to haul them around as well as the family. Unfortunately the Grand Cherokee has to be made so it will take several months to arrive, but I am really looking forward to it.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'm also looking for a new SUV. From all of my research the Buick Enclave always pops to the top. I drove my friend's this week and am convinced that this is the car for me. I don't care about the third row but the overall storage room, ride and handling is wonderful.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
New vehicles: The highest premiums with the most instant depreciation possible.
No thanks!

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
New vehicles: The highest premiums with the most instant depreciation possible.
No thanks!
My pal's misogynist uncle used to say of women in general: 'depreciating assets with no rate of return.'
New vehicles aren't for me, either, but someone has to buy them new so that I can buy them for half the price when they hit 60k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.