Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

undecagon

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
, thanks again for your feedback in helping us make a better website. Happy smoking
Awesome! Not only are we getting to help you out with your site, but we got you to join the forum as well! Welcome aboard, and thanks for joining us. We'd all be happy to see you continue posting :puffy:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Blend No. 5 for me too. I haven't tried it, but it sounds about right. I made a note for my next TAD.

I did enjoy their Westminster which is also an English blend, perhaps a little milder than No. 5.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
It gave me Noir as well. Not sure why, I only like 2 or 3 arros. My main taste is VaPers and some english with Lat. Considering im a vegetarian though....i believe this questionnaire doesnt work for me

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
It gave me Noir as well. Not sure why, I only like 2 or 3 arros. My main taste is VaPers and some english with Lat. Considering im a vegetarian though....i believe this questionnaire doesnt work for me

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
#5 for me.
I recently took a class in psychology at a local college. The prof had written a similar Q&A where each student chose character traits, and it spat out a profile. All the profiles came out the same, but in each case the student believed it. Funny what we want to believe.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
After hearing the ad so much on the Radio Show, I finally decided to take the questionnaire. . . For me, it was a fail from the start. I was "neutral" on everything but two items, and it recommended Blend #5.
Now, I might like Blend #5. But I think the survey is flawed from the get-go. The very first question -- rather than the last -- should be about how long you've smoked a pipe. And if you're a veteran, then I think every question/choice should be based on tobaccos and smoking habits, not food/drink/sports(!). (And the choices are so arbitrary: apple pie or steak? Well, am I having a meal or dessert?)
I feel like questions related to tobaccos and smoking habits would be far more helpful, despite "Mark from Ohio's" praise of the survey's results, especially for long-time pipesmokers. Beginners might fit the food/drink/sport mold much better. But for experienced smokers, I'd think it would be better to ask:
1. Do you prefer doing something else while smoking your pipe or do you like to focus on the smoke? (The idea being: Do you like something you can simply enjoy or do you want something complex that rewards careful attention?)

2. How often a day do you smoke a pipe? (This could help define what might be an "all-day smoke"; could also lead to blends that are higher/lower in nicotine)

3. Do you enjoy latakia?

4. How often do you smoke aromatic blends?

5. Do you tend to smoke fast or slow? (This could lead to different cuts.)

6. Do you tend to smoke indoors or outdoors? (This could lead to blends that are more or less aromatic; could also lead to different cuts, flakes, etc. that can stand a little breeze without burning hot)

7. What is your current favorite tobacco? (For the market information and to help double-check the site's recommendation. After all, if someone's favorite is Blue Note, then the site better not come back with a latakia blend!)
Of course, if the site defaults to only recommending Molto Dulce or Blend #5, then something's very wrong. There are 36 Sutliff-branded blends on the site. Each one could potentially be someone's "perfect" blend and, as such, should have a chance to come up at the end of the survey.
Just my .02.
Bob

bluesmk

Can't Leave
Jul 13, 2013
Bethlehem,PA
rmbittner,

Just took the survey and I totally agree. It recommended "Rome" for me??? Don't know where that assesment came from, and I may like "CD" after I told it I don't like Latakia!?

Dan

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
It recommended something called Fox and Hound for me, with alternates Golden Age and Kentucky Planter. The first two I would hate because they contain Perique and I can't stand the stuff even in small quantities. The latter sounds interesting I'll have to consider it. But the name is kind of offputting..."Kentucky Planter" makes me think of horse manure Idk why.
Many of their questions I had to answer "neutral" when in fact my real response would have been "neither". Steak or chocolate cake...I'm a vegetarian, and I hate chocolate. Choices of beer, choices of liquor...I don't drink alcohol because even a little bit makes me sick. Football or Polo...not a sports fan at all. Plain or vanilla yogurt...yogurt is gross, period, and flavored yogurt is like perfume on a pig.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
shutterbugg:
Exactly! As another poster commented, the whole survey is ill-conceived, assuming that one's choices in other parts of life have any relevance at all for one's tobacco preferences.
I mean, in real life I have a raging sweet tooth. But I don't want tobacco that tastes like dessert. I much prefer unflavored, natural blends. And even though I prefer salmon and pork to steak, my tobacco preferences are quite "steaky": heavier latakia and Balkan blends. And I don't have a clue what it means if my sports preferences are football, baseball, international soccer, and women's golf and tennis. Unless they have a blend called "Eclectic."
BTW, I want to say that I've enjoyed 2 of the 3 Sutliff tobaccos I've tried (Man's Best Friend and Great Outdoors). So please don't take my criticism about the survey to be any kind of a dig at the company's products. I'm commenting purely on the marketing approach. It's flawed. And it certainly doesn't live up to the promise suggested in the really good Radio Show ad.
Bob

teufelhund

Lifer
Mar 5, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I enjoy both of those blends also rmbittner. It recommended Molto Dulce for me. I've heard good things about it. I'll probably add a tin next TAD; probably the end goal anyhow.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
I have a raging sweet tooth. But I don't want tobacco that tastes like dessert.
Bob that's a really good point. I like aromatics (provided the casing is to my taste and not overdone) but if I've just had a sweet dessert I won't reach for an aro. Likewise if I skip dessert I'm more likely to be in the mood for an aro. The survey is a marketing gimmick. Fun but could very well backfire. Sometimes better to let customers make their own bad choices than to make bad choices for them.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
Its funny, yesterday while riding my polo pony I was eating apple pie, drinking scotch and smoking Blend No. 5. Uncanny.

Status
Not open for further replies.