PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Give the 507c a few months in a jar, and wow! You’re in for a treat! A soft natural orange tone will be noticed in tin note and in flavor during the smoke, and it becomes much darker with a slight peppery tingle and a nice woody aspect to it. It’s a killer blend for the price and it just gets better and better with each month that passes.

Thanks. Rest assured, I'm not throwing it away. I'll store it in small Mason jars and come back to it in a few years.

Philosopiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2021
I have five pounds in my cellar that are five years old. Looks like it’s time to sample a jar.

I’ll report back.
Have you got anything to report yet, ashdigger? I’ve grown to like this blend recently. I’m receiving another two and a half pounds today, and I’m curious how it ages.

Reactions: UncleRasta

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I love Virginia Flake but the 507c was not one of my favorites. I like it but not as much as some others like NM 400 OGS etc. I am interested to see if age changes it.

Philosopiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 26, 2021
The 2.5lbs I received from P&C is dark brown, as opposed to the light, hay yellow-brown of fresh VA slices. I assume it’s age, but to have changed color so much it must be at least a year of age. However old, if it is just aged VA slices, then I prefer it fresh. I might’ve just been sent the wrong blend.. I’m receiving another 2lbs from SP on Saturday. We’ll see how that will be.

AlanH

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 29, 2021
North Alabama
I went back to the 507c yesterday I had stoved a couple of ounces about a month ago. After stoving and sitting for a month I liked it very much. I have changed my opinion completely glad I read this thread and revisited it.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Albeit a simple smoke, this remains in my rotation for daily smokes. When I'm at a loss as of what to smoke, I find myself reaching for this often. Great grassy, hay flavor. It paired well with a pinch of Amphora Burley that I added to a bowl a couple times. I'm unsure if aging this blend will do much, but I do keep my cellar stocked with a fair amount because it's such an easy smoking blend for thise times when I want a blend thats not overly complex.

Reactions: chopper

Grumpy11

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 9, 2022
Vero Beach Florida, Secretary, MD
507c is one of my favorite, all day blends! After a few months in a jar, the topping wears off, and you’re left with a true tobacco smell, slightly spicy, and a slight orange smell. Truely delicious!! I highly recommend this flake, and it just gets better and better over time!!
I was wondering how well it aged. I have been enjoying it fresh.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Good to read the reviews and opinions here on 507-C.
I've a pound of the stuff jarred that's around 3yo.

@AppalachianPiper92 many straight Virginias do real well with "a pinch" of added Burley [As Burley blends can often do with a pinch of Virginia]. I'll try that when I get the urge to open my jar.
I keep some Amphora Burley around for this very reason.

Reactions: chopper

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
I was surprised at the 507c, I kind of expected a not-too-nice cigarette sorta va and it's.... pretty good.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I’m enjoying the 507c as well. I picked up an ounce of it a couple months ago and tried it earlier this week. Very creamy, breast flavor profile. I might end up picking up a lb of it. I’ll have to check out the 707 too.

Reactions: eljimmy

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Two years of aging Sutliff Virginia Slices has mellowed and improved it.

I firmly believe every dedicated pipe smoker should have anouf a half a pound at least of Virginia Slices in their stash of tobacco.

It’s good, ripe, matured, tasty Virginia put up in slices, with Sutliff’s secret sauce added to make it distinctive, and at cheap prices in bulk.

Tobacco gets different than this but really not any better, for the type.