SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Recent Posts

mortonbriar

Preferred Member
Oct 25, 2013
I got a two bowl sample bag of this from @Ahi Ka so I will do two reviews in the form of internal dialogue followed by some contextual history of each smoke.

bowl #1 review:
"Yeah, that sure is bland to the point of boredom...it may as well be renamed Nirvana since it has essentially achieved nothingness."

Bowl #2 review:
"Oh that is delicious, is someone baking bread round here? No, no bakers to be seen anywhere, just a very pleasant sweet, light ,fragrant, hay, sunshine, bread rising aroma rising in a thin nostril tickling tendril of perfection from atop this ol' cob...damn this is SO GOOD, I can't believe I never bothered to pick this up before, mmmmmm, yuuuummmm, mmmmmmmm, oh yeah baby, hitting the spot.....mmmmmm, etc"

Bowl #1 context:
It was a normal day.

Bowl #2 context:
I was driving a forklift for the first time, my parents avocado orchard had its first big crop and they needed help. I was slightly out of my comfort zone and i NEEDED my pipe as moral support, I grabbed the cob on hand and the bag of tobacco I spotted underfoot in the truck...I also got the forklift stuck as light was fading and buried the back wheel in a soft spot of paddock, and that same bowl saw me through the whole digging out/jacking up/stacking boards under wheel episode.

What did I learn? probably more about forklifts than tobacco, but I like to think it was an emphasis on not writing a blend off to quickly, the luxurious position of having too many blends to choose from can perhaps hinder the ability to get the most out of any one of them??? I might go back to keeping just 2 or 3 choices out for a bit, see how that goes....

Isaac.

sittingbear

Jul 20, 2015
As a general rule, I smoke a new blend in at least five different pipes before writing it off, ESPECIALLY Virginias. Their flavor is so delicate that any ghost in a pipe will skew how it tastes, unlike heavily topped blends or lat bombs. I not only have several pipes dedicated to Virginias, but they're also dedicated to different KINDS of Virginias (Vapers, straight VAs, etc.). I have two pipes in particular for 507C! My suspicion is that the variance in flavor had more to do with the pipes you used than what you were doing at the time. Cobs are great because, like Meerschaum, they don't retain the ghosts of previous smokes as easily so you get the unadulterated flavor of the tobacco. 507C is wonderful, not only because it is a high quality VA but the price is unbeatable! One of my favorites!

Trevor Barton Auction Ad

craig61a

Preferred Member
Apr 29, 2017
I particularly enjoy their #707 sweet VA blend as well as the slices.

There's something to be said for a simple but very solid blend that allows you to enjoy it without focus or over analysation. When you you can enjoy it without thinking you know you've got something worthwhile.
I too am fond of 707. A simple, easy smoking blend.

Trevor Barton Auction Ad