PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Does anyone have experience with this blend? I recently ordered a lb of Match Crown Achievement, and the bag it came in from the factory has a label that says CA 100. The vendor placed a label on it as well saying Match Crown Achievement. On another vendor's site, who sells CA 100, as well as TR that states that CA 100 contains Latakia, Perique and, Virginia. It doesn't have any oriental tobaccos that are said to be in the match blend. Did I get the wrong blend or is the match and CA 100 the same blend? I have several other match blends and they are all favorites!

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Sutliff CA-100 is one of my favs. It came on the market only recently, say a couple of years ago, after Lane stopped selling Crown Achievement. I've always wondered if it was the same blend as Crown Achievement or Match Crown Achievement, as Lane and Sutliff are both owned by Mac Baren and because of the initials "CA."

Based on the label on your bag, I'd say Match Crown Achievement and CA-100 are the same thing. I guess the name Crown Achievement doesn't have enough cache to continue using it. After all, Lane stopped selling that blend altogether.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
I had a bowl this weekend of the CA100, and it's not the same. The match has a musty floralness (or is it a floral mustyness) from the orientals that the CA100 lacks.I'm not too upset because CA100 is pretty tasty and I think it will age well. But I still want the match blend for my cellar.

Reactions: mingc