PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mikecronis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2021
1644794155377.png

Starting off, I'm a big aromatic fan, but I've been trying a lot of English blends to see what all the fuss is about. I'm a bit bias towards Sutliff offerings, and by my own personal reckoning, they get a lot of aromatics right, though some are pure air-ball misses. Usually Private Stock are almost always very very good by my taste buds.

Like Private Stock Alexander Bridge, this one is more towards the English than aromatic side, and its nicotine level is fairly reasonably low. Opening promises English taste similar to Plum Pudding Special Reserve with muted English tones, but long ribbons suggest perhaps otherwise.

Not a "Lat-bomb", the Latakia is present but similarly balanced like Sutliff's Edward G. Robinson with Virginia present and Cavendish to balance it out.

Starts off with a taste similar to a white jelly-bean, turning to Galliano liqueur, or "creame' of Galliano" if that's a thing, the spicy anise of the Latakia giving way to the Cavandish vanilla presence staying cool and fairly uncomplex. Some charred campfire log lingering away until the Galliano is almost pure Black Cavandish taste towards the finish.

Very very smooth and cool-smoking as it could be an introductory blend for those considering English varietals. It's a mature smoke for grown-ups in the same way Captain Black isn't.

This one required a re-light, which is rare for me, but unshameful to do so. Pleasant and non-dramatic, though it won't call the girls over to sit with you as most Englishes don't. Perfectly adult.

Recommended.

Reactions: scloyd

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
I love this blend. I think it’s under-celebrated on here. While I don’t get all the tasting notes you find, I get enough complexity and it doesn’t require much attention in the re-light dept. I like the creosote and cedarwood-being-burned notes I taste. It seems to be best in a cob over the few briars I’ve smoked it in. Plus the price is better than most blends that I buy. Wish it was sold in pounds. It’s so balanced that I think even if you were a little burnt out on Latakia you could still enjoy it.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I bought a tin of Blend No. 5 back in 2018 and immediately put it in a jar. I've smoked several bowls, enjoyed them, but for some reason I never grab it out of the cellar. ?‍♂️