PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This has the same catfish dough bait tin note and aroma as any other tobacco high in Latakia. When this was being made Sutliff used the word heavy to describe Latakia content.

But I find this a mild, slightly sweet, mellow all day English blend. It doesn’t taste heavy.

I can taste the sweet citrus taste of the Virginia, and the creaminess of the Orientals, with always the peppery, zesty background of Latakia.

I’m immune to nicotine unless it’s something ridiculously high, and this blend has some but not very high nicotine levels, and is tongue and mouth friendly.

I propose Sutliff change the name to Curmudgeon’s Delight.:)

It makes me want to sit on my deck and yell at children to stay off my lawn.

Try a few ounces of this. Use it in a big pipe reserved for English blends outdoors, when you are only trying to please yourself.

This is what English blends are all about.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
I like #503 English as well, and I agree it is not really "heavy" at all, just a pleasant standard medium English, speaking of which, Sutliff #502 Medium English is also quite good (and sold under several different names).

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I have some Medium English as well, and from my observation it’s the same as Heavy English but burley and Perique added, which cuts the percentage of Latakia.

Heavy English isn’t complex, to my tastes.

Blending is truly an art. No telling how many proportions of Virginia, Orientals and Latakia somebody tried at Sutliff until they found one where you can taste all three, none overpowers the other, and it’s just the epitome of an all day English blend.

They’d likely used up all the other prefix names and decided to name it Heavy.

Don’t let the name deceive you.

This is just English.:)

Reactions: chopper

JimPM

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2021
This has the same catfish dough bait tin note and aroma as any other tobacco high in Latakia. When this was being made Sutliff used the word heavy to describe Latakia content.

But I find this a mild, slightly sweet, mellow all day English blend. It doesn’t taste heavy.

I can taste the sweet citrus taste of the Virginia, and the creaminess of the Orientals, with always the peppery, zesty background of Latakia.

I’m immune to nicotine unless it’s something ridiculously high, and this blend has some but not very high nicotine levels, and is tongue and mouth friendly.

I propose Sutliff change the name to Curmudgeon’s Delight.:)

It makes me want to sit on my deck and yell at children to stay off my lawn.

Try a few ounces of this. Use it in a big pipe reserved for English blends outdoors, when you are only trying to please yourself.

This is what English blends are all about.
Agree the name is misleading. I like the blend all the same. If you want a full-on heavy Latakia, IMO, Boswell's Railroad Station is much stauncher than Sutliff's stew

Reactions: Briar Lee

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Perhaps there are legal reasons they don't/can't call it "mild" or "light" English...
As it happens, there is a Sutliff Light English #302.
I'm an inhaler and since quitting the dreaded cigarettes I avoid nicotine.
The #302 is right up my alley [reminded me of a milder version of EMP Match]