PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
These tobaccos all share the same light aromatic chocolate/vanilla topping. Which do you guys prefer of the 3 that have tried the lot? Also looking for your general opinions for any of these blends. Thanks everyone!

Reactions: pitchfork

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
Golden Extra had a nice but too mild flavor when I smoked it decades ago. It bit the tongue badly. Sutliff RR is one I keep around for my occasional burley blast, but it needs a lot of drying for me to bring down the cocoa topping. It's good and the burleys are good quality. I've wanted to try the PS41 for some time now, but my wife keeps me on a very tight budget. Can't wait for my stimulus check so I can plead!

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Cube cut is still in the mail so I can’t comment.

Sutliff Edgeworth RR match is one of my favourites. It has more chocolate than Golden Extra, and less complexity. It’s just straight nutty burley with that chocolate on top. Perfect with coffee, and easy to pack: gravity fill, tap to settle, and go.

Golden Extra’s nutty burley flavour is there, but there’s also the Virginia in second place, and Mac Baren’s particular sweetness, which is different from the Sutliff. More flavours in it, but less of the nutty, chocolatey burley.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I just got my little bag of PS Cube Cut. I'd put it right in the middle between Sutliff RR Match and Golden Extra.

It has the chocolate and burley flavours up front, but not nearly as pronounced as the Sutliff RR Match, and the Virginias as also subtly there. It's hard to compare it to Mac Baren anything, because Mac Baren's signature cavendish sweetness is its own thing.

It was easy to codger scoop out of the bag, tap to settle, and then it took a couple of matches to really get going.

It's a real gem. I like all these tobaccos. If I get to retire someday, and can sit on my porch in the mid-morning with my fresh coffee and scrutinize the passers-by, it will be with one of these easy going burleys as accompaniment.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I haven't tried the PS Cube Cut, but I'd say that the flavorings in Golden Extra and ERR Match are very different.

ERR Match (whatever flavorings go into it) has that old-timey American burley blend flavor, similar to Prince Albert, but amped up a bit, and there's a touch of molasses. It's very good. I recommend it.

Golden Extra is a bit more honey-like - there's probably some chocolate flavor in there, but it's more like the honey on Honey-Nut Cheerios than the old-timey Prince-Albert flavor in ERR Match. The burley in Golden Extra is very mild, more toasty or grassy than ERR Match's somewhat darker, molasses-tinged flavor. It's not my favorite, but it's good.

The only one I haven't had is the Sutliff. But, I didn't notice a vanilla on either the Cube Cut or the Golden X. The burley brings some of that on it's own. The casing is definitely there, but just so mild that I couldn't place exactly what flavors it is.
I prefer to the Cube Cut, myself. I can smoke it all day without any qualms.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I just got my little bag of PS Cube Cut. I'd put it right in the middle between Sutliff RR Match and Golden Extra.

It has the chocolate and burley flavours up front, but not nearly as pronounced as the Sutliff RR Match, and the Virginias as also subtly there. It's hard to compare it to Mac Baren anything, because Mac Baren's signature cavendish sweetness is its own thing.

It was easy to codger scoop out of the bag, tap to settle, and then it took a couple of matches to really get going.

It's a real gem. I like all these tobaccos. If I get to retire someday, and can sit on my porch in the mid-morning with my fresh coffee and scrutinize the passers-by, it will be with one of these easy going burleys as accompaniment.
Nice review! Thanks

Reactions: gervais and Casual

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
They're all great.

I have sample amounts of RR Match and Golden Extra, but I have pounds of Cube Cut. I've posted this before, but Cube Cut is my BLT of tobaccos. If I go to a diner (or a Coney Island for anyone in SE Michigan who knows what that is), and I can't decide what I want for lunch, I'll have a BLT, because a BLT is always good. For the $, Cube Cut is a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.