PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty D

Lurker
Nov 19, 2019
Just got a tin in the mailbox. A beautiful tangy aged smelling broken flake. Tin note is pure heaven. Has va sweet and sweet raisin but a lovely sour tangy-ness. I love PS LNF and OGS ( In that order) . This leaf is like one of those but older and sour in a good way. Has a super pleasant sour sweet with bbq sauce (no smokiness) tin note. Start of bowl is sweet and tangy, then goes into darker raisin then roasty sweet. End of bowl i swear i get dark sweet spice flavor like clove or liquorice but just a hint.... If you like Va's no doubt youll like this. Unreal. Will buy more. A delicious Va with a macbaren odf vibe almost. Smooth smoking, no bite and i get bit real easy. Absolutely delicious tobacco. Flake rubs out into a wider cut than im used to with other va flakes but is so delicious who cares. Whatever they did to this red Va it works. Merry Christmas and cheers. D.

Last edited:

oldguyoldpipes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 20, 2019
Just got a tin in the mailbox. A beautiful tangy aged smelling broken flake. Tin note is pure heaven. Has va sweet and sweet raisin but a lovely sour tangy-ness. I love PS LNF and OGS ( In that order) . This leaf is like one of those but older and sour in a good way. Has a super pleasant sour sweet with bbq sauce (no smokiness) tin note. Start of bowl is sweet and tangy, then goes into darker raisin then roasty sweet. End of bowl i swear i get dark sweet spice flavor like clove or liquorice but just a hint.... If you like Va's no doubt youll like this. Unreal. Will buy more. A delicious Va with a macbaren odf vibe almost. Smooth smoking, no bite and i get bit real easy. Absolutely delicious tobacco. Flake rubs out into a wider cut than im used to with other va flakes but is so delicious who cares. Whatever they did to this red Va it works. Merry Christmas and cheers. D.
Just received mine today so, with some luck, I will try some tonight. Guess I will use one of my Christmas Kapp pipes as it 'Tis the Season !!

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Bought two tins. If you're one who thinks Sutliff 515 RC-1 is a similar and suitable substitute for McClelland 5100 Red Cake, you'll likely love this. It does have a very nice sweet, tart and fruity flavor profile. Depth of body and strength are lacking though. Tin note similar to McClelland, sharp vinegar. More like a thin sliced cake than true flake. Needs a little drying but pretty good out of the tin.

I'm tempted to buy more of this but when I look out ahead and see myself choosing between this, McClelland 40th, C&D Small Batch Carolina Red Virginia Flake, 5100, WCC Simply Red and WCC Rhythm & Blues, I don't see this getting picked up.

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina
Just finished a bowl from todays SP shipment. I was gun shy because of my distaste for the C&D stuff the last three or four times and overbuying. (Still trying to sell off the remainder) Anyway this stuff is strong vinegar at opening similar to McClelland. What I noticed on the after filling the draw was pure sweetness without any fire. Once lit this stayed sweet til the end. I dried it for about a half hour could use a little more drying time for my taste. Having cut my teeth and smoked nothing but Red Ribbon, Red Flake, and 5100 for several years early on , I have to say this is the sweetest Virginia I have smoked and I have tins of 83 Red Ribbon with 20 years of age. Not sure if something was added to make it so sweet or if this is a rare crop. I enjoyed this so much I went back to order more to find it sold out on SP. So tobaccopipes got the order this time. Any of you that decide you like grassy Virginia's versus real sweet ones let me know.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
@hoosierpipeguy and @k9shag

The Cringle vs others, would you think this a better option for someone (me) who prefers sweet to the other blends you guys mentioned? It's not like I'm going to be getting any of the McClelland stuff anyway.

For reference, my current "go to" blend is Sutliff's Sweet Virginia.

My shipment arrives tomorrow and I'll definitely give it a try this weekend and post my thoughts. I just don't have the ability to compare/contrast (what is this, a high school book report? ? ) the blends with the others.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL

The Cringle vs others, would you think this a better option for someone (me) who prefers sweet to the other blends you guys mentioned? It's not like I'm going to be getting any of the McClelland stuff anyway.

My shipment arrives tomorrow and I'll definitely give it a try this weekend and post my thoughts. I just don't have the ability to compare/contrast (what is this, a high school book report? ? ) the blends with the others.

I would guess so. Just to be clear, the Cringle is a very good blend. Based upon what you said, I'd be surprised if you didn't enjoy it a lot.

k9shag

Can't Leave
Oct 24, 2012
North Carolina

If you like sweet Va this should suit you fine. I too prefer sweeter Va versus what I call grassy, earth Va. Our pallets vary. I have tried most of the Virginia’s since McClelland shut the doors and Sutliff Crumble Cake is what I felt was closest, until Cringle cake. I enjoy all of the Watch City Va/Pers immensely.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Though I passed on th Sutliff, I did grab something for some holiday smoking time.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
My order arrived yesterday. Opened a tin around 10am this morning and transferred the contents to a jar less a bowls worth. Went out for the day and came home around 4:30pm. Packed my pipe and lit it around 5pm.

Holy! The initial light revealed gobs of tangy fruit. It seems the slower you smoke the more you get!

I'm going to try to get a few more tins. If this stuff improves with age like everyone is suggesting, well, I'm almost a little afraid.

Reactions: Fooberticus
Status
Not open for further replies.