PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I got the same jar. I bent the tab a little and it seals much bettet. I put a pound of match ERR in it. I figure it has enough humectant to last awhile in this environment. I store tobacco in jars that came with my vintage pipe stands. Two years later and they are as moist as the day I fill the jars without wetting the Aztec button. I wouldn't use them for cellaring but for regularly smoked blends it seems to work well for me.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
As a side note or side bar or whatever. I have bail jars made in France that are super high quality. The wire is dialed in. The gasket is silicone. The bail closure is bombproof.

If the wire is rickety I wouldn’t store anything other the odd ephemera in it

Here’s the French version.

View attachment 68648
They finally figured out how to make something well. Only if they can figure out how to brew beer..

• Haha
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
I got the same jar. I bent the tab a little and it seals much bettet. I put a pound of match ERR in it. I figure it has enough humectant to last awhile in this environment. I store tobacco in jars that came with my vintage pipe stands. Two years later and they are as moist as the day I fill the jars without wetting the Aztec button. I wouldn't use them for cellaring but for regularly smoked blends it seems to work well for me.
I for sure don't smoke that much. I'm going to jar this Match 20 in a couple of quart jars. The Match 20 doesn't seem that "wet" which got me thinking whether I should use the jar or not.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I’ve always had good luck w/the Italian made Bormioli Rocco’s Fido jars . I’ve been using them for years and the tobacco stays moist. Marshalls and TJ Maxx always seems to have them in stock at a reasonable price. They have various sizes. I use the larger version, I believe 1 liter, and it’ll hold 8 oz... 10 oz if you stuff it in there...
F641FCCE-52F1-478C-A0C2-0695260FCDBE.jpeg

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I’ve always had good luck w/the Italian made Bormioli Rocco’s Fido jars . I’ve been using them for years and the tobacco stays moist. Marshalls and TJ Maxx always seems to have them in stock at a reasonable price. They have various sizes. I use the larger version, I believe 1 liter, and it’ll hold 8 oz... 10 oz if you stuff it in there...
View attachment 68665
I have a few of the large Bormioli jars that i have a pound of flake in each. I also have quite a few smaller ones that i use to store open tins in. No complaints from me, they seem to work well. I also bought replacement gaskets of the same brand for when i change blends in the jar as the gaskets tend to soak up the smell of whatever tobacco you have in there.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
View attachment 68665
Thank you for that info but I had 10 new Ball Mason Jars here at home so I just ended up using 2 of them for the pound. Figured why spend the money if i have these. I appreciate it though. Smoking it later tonight.

IMG_3638.JPG

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
Jimmy, how are you liking the Match 20?
ok, just finished my first bowl full. Is it a match? No.
I'm no expert but this is for sure a bit more smokey in smell and flavor. Something in it is sweeter. There are a few similarities but in my opinion this Match 20 holds it's own. I will definitely smoke this often and I will buy another pound of it when the time comes.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Well, I guess I'm the outlier here. I have several bail type jars and ceramic/earthenware tobacco humidor jars that I use for tobacco.

I have no problem with the bail jars for storage of tobacco. I have three of the jars that I put the blends in in 2016. One of which I opened in December and it was still moist enough that it required a little drying before smoking. Here's the thing, not all of the jars are created equal - even those made by the same company. What I did is look at the construction and the seal on each jar. If you can move the lid even slightly when it's closed, you don't buy it because the locking mechanism isn't working. If the seal feels dry and hard or brittle, you either don't buy it or you replace it. I prefer the red rubber or neoprene for the seal on mine.

Would this set-up work for long term cellaring? Define longterm. If you plan on smoking the blend in three or four years, it should work. I also keep my jars in an old metal filing cabinet so they are not exposed to light.

As for the tobacco jars like the one Sutliff makes, I don't have a Sutliff humidor. I do have one made by Comoy, a Denby Stoneware humidor, and an earthenware humidor. I was also given a smaller ceramic jar for Christmas this year. My theory on these jars are that they were not designed for long term storage of tobacco but are designed to hold your daily smoking blends. With one exception, the jars will keep the tobacco fresh for about three weeks before the tobacco starts to dry out too much.

The Denby does the best job of keeping tobacco moist. It has a good rubber seal and a screw-down clamp that tightens the lid down.
Denby_1.jpg

pepesdad1

Lifer
Feb 28, 2013
eljimmy, Bail top jars are just fine, if they have a tight seal...you can double up on the silicon seal to make it tighter if needed. I've used the bail top jars for over 5 years now and have not had any problem...as long as the top is tight, it should work out just fine. I have over 10 of them and as I said they have worked just fine for several years...the only problem that I have had is they are heavy...so if you have several in a tub it is heavy.
Good luck and enjoy your smoking!

Attachments

• AJ-JAR1 001.JPG
    AJ-JAR1 001.JPG
    136.3 KB · Views: 2
  • AJ JAR_BST.JPG
    AJ JAR_BST.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 2
Status
Not open for further replies.