mechanic

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 1, 2018
They make a screen you can put over pan while frying bacon without pants on

didache

Can't Leave
Feb 11, 2017
London, England
In the UK they are called 'braces' - same thing though. I've worn them for three or four years now.
Being honest, it's because my shape has changed on getting older - with my waist sort of disappearing, a belt didn't seem so efficient any more. The braces work just fine.
Mike

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
When doing forestry work or cutting firewood I wear heavy duty button suspenders of the type found in forestry/logging supply stores.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
All my suits have suspender buttons. They'll eventually migrate to all of my pants. I can't currently keep a pair of jeans at the right altitude...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm pretty spare of build, but in the second half of life have acquired a belly, not huge, but not ego boosting either. Suspenders would sure be better than a belt to hold my pants up at this stage of life. But suspenders really accentuate the gut, kind of frame it. So I have tried them, and like the look in general. I have a pair of denim overalls with the suspender straps that look pretty good. But suspenders with regular pants are a little hard on my vanity. I accommodated being thin, but I preferred being proportionate.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I wear them. I cannot stand the clip on ones and I cannot use a belt as I look like a sack tied up in the middle. I have multiple pairs of army surplus braces and they work fine for me.

anantaandroscoggin

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2017
Greene, Maine, USA
I hate when sliding into the car, one of the back clips of my suspenders catches somewhere on the seat and comes undone (there are a few other places where the same thing happens as well). For that reason, I buy the little -- I can't think of their proper name right now, the little spring-clippy things patterned after the ones used by rock-climbers and mountaineers -- and replace the back clips with these things. Then to use these modified suspenders, I clip these through the belt loops on the back of the pants that straddle the one in the middle.
It's nice that if a pair of suspenders happens to lose their elasticity, the spring-clip things can be reclaimed for use in a new pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.