PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Not having any experience, but based on my time here. If I was in your position and had to purchase three pipes. I think I would get a filtered cob, a bent Falcon Hunter with a Bantam bowl, and for the third, maybe a Peterson, or a Barber B line.

But you are better off taking other peoples (those who actually smoke) advice. :). Hopefully, I'm not too far off the mark though.

Reactions: Zak Halfway

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Evening all,

Just turned 34, Smoked roll ups up until now and feel it's time to finally grow up properly and get my first real pipe( not the Gandalf one I got for Christmas a few years back), however after much research and deliberation it seems impossible to find "The One" and so I've had to order three!

I'll upload pics and reveal once they arrive, until then it would be interesting to hear what your choice of the perfect three would be?
Welcome from. The Scottish Borders. Where abouts in Surrey? My wife is originally from Egham.

jaingorenard

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
To second @Flatfish 's advice, you can't go wrong with a falcon, they smoke brilliantly no matter what you do. Barber B lines are also excellent value for money. I personally hate cobs, but I think I'm in a bit of a minority.

I'd recommend getting some small tobacco samplers (10g) to try out some different styles, and don't write something off just because you don't like it now. Some tobaccos are more forgiving in terms of technique than others. If you want any advice, feel free to drop me a PM.

I'd also say, don't take any advice too seriously, practice makes perfect, and you're unlikely to get good smokes without working out your own way of doing it.

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
Welcome, from Michigan! I’m excited to see what three you’ve got coming in. If I had to go with just 3 off the top of my head I’d choose a Moonshine Cannonball, a Peterson 82, and a Peterson system pipe (though I’m not sure which one).

Tyke Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2023
The Shire of York, England
What’s this an image of? It’s absolutely stunning.
Couldn't agree more. Yorkshire is blessed to have many such sites. Here's a link for better information - enjoy 😊🙏🏻

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
PMF Recovery Center
Couldn't agree more. Yorkshire is blessed to have many such sites. Here's a link for better information - enjoy 😊🙏🏻

Well my friend, sounds like we'll need to meet up when I cross this off of my bucket list (in the next few decades).

Zak Halfway

Lurker
Feb 4, 2024
Welcome from. The Scottish Borders. Where abouts in Surrey? My wife is originally from Egham.
Yes I know Egham, I'm from Guildford not to far from there.

To second @Flatfish 's advice, you can't go wrong with a falcon, they smoke brilliantly no matter what you do. Barber B lines are also excellent value for money. I personally hate cobs, but I think I'm in a bit of a minority.

I'd recommend getting some small tobacco samplers (10g) to try out some different styles, and don't write something off just because you don't like it now. Some tobaccos are more forgiving in terms of technique than others. If you want any advice, feel free to drop me a PM.

I'd also say, don't take any advice too seriously, practice makes perfect, and you're unlikely to get good smokes without working out your own way of doing it.
Thanks for the advice, I noticed you can get the 10g samplers and I think it's a great idea. I've already bought a pouch of Three Nuns and a tin of Petersons Night cap which can't wait to try, one of the three pipes should arrive tommorow so not much longer for me to wait😁

GQ Tobaccos do their own line which, AFAICT, are the same (made by the same chaps I believe?) as the Barber B Line of pipes...I mean, some are absolutely identical except for the brand stamp. However, GQ's are - IIRC - £5 cheaper! Can't go wrong for that price 👍🏻😊
That's good to know, and yes a very good price by the looks of it!
Welcome, from Michigan! I’m excited to see what three you’ve got coming in. If I had to go with just 3 off the top of my head I’d choose a Moonshine Cannonball, a Peterson 82, and a Peterson system pipe (though I’m not sure which one).
Just had a look and they seem like a very nice choice indeed👍

My old Nan is from Yorkshire and so have been up a few times, I must admit it really is beautiful part of the country.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Welcome from Hereford.
Three Dunhills is what you want mate. Not really…..but if you can afford to live in surrey, three Dunhills should be doable.😇

• Haha
Reactions: AroEnglish
Status
Not open for further replies.