PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
My friend just gave me a pouch of all three captain blacks, gold royal and white.
smoking royal now, had white earlier, have yet to try gold.
the white is good, but the royal is great. Different then what ive been smoking, good change of pace

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
well for the 4 bucks it costs a pouch i would recommend it. Im not saying its fantastic, but it really isnt bad at all. A good one to go pick up while waiting for an order to come in

nbpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
I've yet to try gold, but always have a pouch of either White or Royal in my jacket. It's my go to smoke when I'm out and about. That and besides Borkum Riff and Amphora, which I haven't tried, are the only thing I can get locally. I just wish it didn't cost me $20 for a 50g pouch. Might have to give Gold a try when my pouch of white runs out.

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Good review. I read it a while back and it forced me to go get a bag of White and remember my dad smokeing it on saturday mornings when i watch cartoons. And mom putting the ashes in the Rainbow Vacuume to keep the smell around when he went on his 6 month cruises in the navy. God memories.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Kevin,

So Captain Black is now a "Luxury Tobacco"?!
Apparently I'm in the minority.

wildcat

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2012
Ive tried Royal and White. Like 'em. I have also tried L1Q from lane "which is" Royal I believe. Very nice as well. The bulk Lanes are cheaper than the pouches here in NY where tax is nearly double price!! I am currently having a cheapskates love affair with Lanes Smokers Pride Black Cavendish. (as an example of the tax thing: on line, Cup O Joes sells SPBC for 15.99, in the store after tax I pay 24.99!!) I have jarred some straight SPBC and some SPBC mixed with equal parts Half&Half. I have been smoking the latter for 3 days straight!! Real nice.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I have only just begun to smoke aromatics after 14 years of pipe smoking and I have to admit that I do so enjoy Captain Black White and Gold. I was surprised by the quality of the tobacco to tell you the truth. They taste good, smell great to those around you and, like others have hinted at here, they clearly bring any North American back to memories of a grandfather, uncle or someone from their past that smoked a pipe.

pufferissimo

Might Stick Around
Jan 20, 2012
Yup, Captain Black enjoy smooth sails in my fellow Indonesian pipe-smoker as well.
They taste good and the sweet-scent had immensely build a positive persona of pipe-smokers amongst common folks here, especially in public. Several new pipe smoker was intrigued by Captain Black's awesome room note that they struck up a conversation with me about pipe smoking.
Couple of weeks later, we are puffing together :puffy:
For more veteran taste bud, we mix CB with other full-bodied baccy, mainly Tambolaka

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
For more veteran taste bud, we mix CB with other full-bodied baccy, mainly Tambolaka
I do this with a lot of aromatics. I usually use a fairly neutral bright Va like Hamborger Veermaster and mix to varying degrees with aromatics. I find it best when I add just a pinch of the aromatic for a hint of aroma. I prefer the body of a bright or red Va but like the light sweet scent that the aromatic puts in the air.

seakayak

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 21, 2010
I'll generally pick up a pouch of CB white for a change of pace and find it more than worth the price. I don't like the gold at all; it is simply overpowering with a funny aftertaste. Having read the reviews thus far, I think my next change of pace pouch will be CB royal. Thanks for the informed feedback.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
CBW was my first pipe smoke and has the room note that I always remembered abmiring when I was younger so it will always be right as rain for me. I have become a 1-Q convert in recent days though.

jeff59

Might Stick Around
Oct 13, 2011
Years ago I smoked Capt Black but gave up the Briar for some time. Returning to it recently I found I really did not care for it at all. Someone told me to let it sit out for a time to let it dry a bit so I did. I let it dry out A LOT. I found it made a world of difference. I dont smoke it all the time but I do find myself coming back to it more and more.

echopipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 7, 2011
I like white and royal. Always have one around. Not a fan of gold. Would like to try red,but haven't seen it anywhere. Its great to have a blend that I can actually buy at the corner.

Its 8-10 dollars here in Los Angeles. Where i buy it, its 10 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.