PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
With how much I ended up loving Super-Value's Bourbon Whiskey when I tried it - a total impulse purchase, purely made out of odd curiosity - I recently made the firm decision to order and try-out a pouch Super-Value's so-called: English Mixture.
In short, Super-Value once again delivered another wonderful surprise to me!
For my pallet, I love the overall balance achieved with this mixture. To my tastes, the key to my appreciating Super-Value's English Mixture is the how I experience the Latakia in this mixture.
For me, it is not too smokey nor peppery - I have other well-known mixtures for when I am seeking that effect - and, it is not too incensey-perfumey - again, I have other well-known mixtures for when I am seeking that effect - and Super-Value's English Mixture played on my tongue is a very mellow and pleasing way through the entire bowl; making Super-Value's English Mixture perfect for days when you aren't in the mood for a Lat-Bomb, nor in the mood for a trip to The Church of Transcendental Incense Wonderfulness - so this makes a great third place to go - as your mood strikes you.
I would consider Super-Value's English Mixture to be a "Light English", if you will. I think it would be an ideal candidate as a cross-overs for those seeking to get into an easy and basic English mixture for the first time. I sure wish Super-Value's English Mixture had been my first introduction to Latakia and so-called: English Mixtures in general!
So far Super-Value products are 2 for 2 with me; and, both of those hits have been home-runs which will enter my regular rotation of tabaks; and, at less than $3.50 for 1.5oz pouch! - Sherm Natman

alexj52

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2018
I have a pouch stashed away somewhere, and your review makes me want to try it. Thanks!

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Alex - It's still early yet; so If I were you, I would start rooting around and find that pouch of Super-Value English Mixture while your taste-buds are tingling!
Be sure to let us know what you think about it. I would like to know your impressions. - Sherm Natman

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm glad you discovered this one. It sounds like what they call an all-day English blend, mild but nicely balanced. The prices on Super-Value honor the name, and I'm glad to hear they're good. A somewhat more up-market blend that is refined, balanced, and has the confidence to add a bit of burley is Nat Sherman 536. But SV may be comparable, just as good. If you find good bag tobacco you enjoy, you're really onto something.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
MSO - Hey Tom, Nat Sherman?... Wha dah?... Who the heck is "Nat Sherman" ?!?
Sounds like some joker is trying to make a big leaf out of himself with some sort of twisty-play on my good name! Let me tell you Brother, there is only ONE, Sherm Natman. Remember my slogan: "Sherm Natman, since 1964, IS, the tobacconist, to the... uh,... to the,.. uh,.. tobacconist to the.. to the guys who know him."; yeah, that's the ticket!
"Nat Sherman", indeed! - Sherm Natman
RedGlow - Ah, My Mixture 956 - one of my favorites! - where the "MM" stands for "Mmmm Mmmm Good!" Please let us know your impressions of Super-Value's English Mixture here when you do. - Sherm Natman

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Sherm, over on Manhattan's 42nd St., Nat is well-known, but around here, it's shermnatman.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Mso489 - And, "around here" is a great place to be. - Sherm Natman
sherm_natman_logo_slogan.jpg

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Alex - For my initial smoke of Super-Value: English Mixture, I used the testing-pipe I always use when trying a new (to me) tabak for the first-time, and that is a very well-loved/abused: MM Legend w/ straight stem. Since that delightful smoke, SV:EM has made it's way into all manner of various pipes in my collection: MMs, Grabows, Brighams, Petersons, etc.
Wow, just writing this response to you about Super-Value; English Mixture is making me "jones" heavily for a big bowl of it right now!
And "magically", it seems it's suddenly time to take the dog out for walk LOL! - Sherm Natman

tulsagentleman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2019
Based on this thread I included a pouch of Super Value English Mixture, one of SV Buttered Rum, and another of SV Bourbon Whiskey in my last order. At less than $4 a pouch, I figured I couldn't get hurt too bad. To my surprise, all three are darn nice. The pouch note is right on and they smoke very smoothly. The whiskey and rum flavors come through in a gentle way, and the light touch of latakia makes the English Blend a very pleasant smoke - full flavored but not overpowering. I would have to say that these are a Super Value indeed. I got mine from P&C.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Some of the economic bag tobaccos are a good hedge against shortages later for those of us who have a good small stash of premium blends and smoke moderately so don't even keep up with our own TAD. Jarred, some of these bag tobaccos may even improve with time and carry us a long way if regulatory and cost issues make blends prohibitively expensive. If I retreat to a one or two bowl a week habit, I could coast toward the next century, but I'm not there yet. I'm giving the pipes (pun) a rest while I shake a walking chest cold.

ron44

Lurker
Apr 20, 2019
Thanks for the commentary on Super Value tobacco's. Will include one or two with my next order from 'Pipes and Cigars" to try. When browsing catalog I wondered about them from time to time.

maxx

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 10, 2015
My local smoke shop sells this brand. I assumed it was more of that tobacco for roll-your-own cigarettes that’s labeled as pipe tobacco to skirt the higher tax. I’ll try it.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I was out and about so stopped at the smoke shop for this. They didn’t have the English or the Bourbon Whiskey, so I bought their Whiskey Cavendish. Tobacco Reviews says -
Brand Super Value

Blended By Sutliff

Manufactured By Sutliff

Blend Type Aromatic

Contents Black Cavendish, Burley, Cavendish

Flavoring Alcohol / Liquor

Cut Ribbon

Packaging 12-oz. Bag, 1.5-oz. Pouch

Country US
It cost $6.29 + tax which is the same cost there as PA or CH.
I’ve smoked two bowls. It’s not very flavorful, although I’ve been smoking a lot of my PA/CH mix today and may have fatigued my tongue a little. There’s no tongue bite for me. I don’t dislike it.

maxx

Apr 10, 2015
I take that back. This tobacco gives tongue bite and is boring to boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.