New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sep 20, 2022
Your admin sucks balls
Just a general rant this has been a go to blend but not being available it at least 8oz tins is a drag, bulk would be better. I seem to really have a taste for Balkan/English blends heavy on the oriental lately, anyone have any suggestions? My favorite tobacco I have found is From Beyond by C & D didn't care for it at first but after 1 yr or so in a jar I've never tasted anything better Ive tried at least 30 different blends since trying to find a similar flavor with no luck I credit this blend with really getting me started on a pipe. almost funny I may never taste it again. Maybe a email to Jeremy Reeves is in order.......

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
Oriental forward Balkans are my mainstay, it's what I smoke 99% of the time. From C&D, there's Star of the East Gold, Cordial and, Stratfordshire. From Sutliff the matches for BSOSM, Sobranie 759, Dunhill 965. Also from Sutliff TS-24. I have smoked all of these blends and they are all great (4 stars in my book)! While not a Balkan, you should try Habana Daydream by C&D.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Just a general rant this has been a go to blend but not being available it at least 8oz tins is a drag, bulk would be better. I seem to really have a taste for Balkan/English blends heavy on the oriental lately, anyone have any suggestions? My favorite tobacco I have found is From Beyond by C & D didn't care for it at first but after 1 yr or so in a jar I've never tasted anything better Ive tried at least 30 different blends since trying to find a similar flavor with no luck I credit this blend with really getting me started on a pipe. almost funny I may never taste it again. Maybe a email to Jeremy Reeves is in order.......
I've recently headed more toward the Oriental leaf myself, and found Izmir Turkish to be quite an interesting blend. And it's no stretch to think of adding it to an English that "almost" meets your desires.

Sep 20, 2022
Your admin sucks balls
Oriental forward Balkans are my mainstay, it's what I smoke 99% of the time. From C&D, there's Star of the East Gold, Cordial and, Stratfordshire. From Sutliff the matches for BSOSM, Sobranie 759, Dunhill 965. Also from Sutliff TS-24. I have smoked all of these blends and they are all great (4 stars in my book)! While not a Balkan, you should try Habana Daydream by C&D.
Thanks for the suggestions. I have had the BSOSM, Sobranie 759 have a pound of each cellared.I like 965 but 1 tin cellared is enough.Ive had the Star of the east it was ok but not the gold. Ill order the gold and TS-24 this evening along with Habana, Cordial and Stratfordshire. The only other blends ive really liked you didn't hit was the Sunset Harbor and Sutliff Crumble Kake English #1both similar but the Sutliff doesnt have the tang of the Sunset. So yes great choices cant wait to try the rest.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Habana Daydream gets a high recommendation from me, though it's been a while since I smoked it. It also has no Oriental in it (but DOES have black cavendish and cigar leaf).

As for C&D bulk that have the exact same leaf profile as From Beyond (though probably in wildly different amounts):
- Tobacco Reviews | Cornell & Diehl - Plantation Evening - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/301/cornell-diehl-plantation-evening
- Tobacco Reviews | Cornell & Diehl - Professor - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/367/cornell-diehl-professor
- Tobacco Reviews | Cornell & Diehl - Red Odessa - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2348/cornell-diehl-red-odessa

I haven't smoked any of these, but I'm tempted to buy these next time there is a big sale on C&D bulk.

The following link takes you to a search on tobaccoreviews.com where the blending components are pretty close:

The Peretti's and 4noggins ones sound intriguing. But I've never purchased from there.

Reactions: Woodsman_piper

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
I forgot to mention C&D Super Balkan. I've smoked it and enjoyed it! The blends you mentioned that I didn't hit on, it's because I'm too cheap to buy tins ! LOL! The SOTE Gold has had the latakia and the orientals reversed. Red Odessa will be my next purchase.

Sep 20, 2022
Your admin sucks balls
Habana Daydream gets a high recommendation from me, though it's been a while since I smoked it. It also has no Oriental in it (but DOES have black cavendish and cigar leaf).

As for C&D bulk that have the exact same leaf profile as From Beyond (though probably in wildly different amounts):
- Tobacco Reviews | Cornell & Diehl - Plantation Evening - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/301/cornell-diehl-plantation-evening
- Tobacco Reviews | Cornell & Diehl - Professor - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/367/cornell-diehl-professor
- Tobacco Reviews | Cornell & Diehl - Red Odessa - https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2348/cornell-diehl-red-odessa

I haven't smoked any of these, but I'm tempted to buy these next time there is a big sale on C&D bulk.

The following link takes you to a search on tobaccoreviews.com where the blending components are pretty close:

The Peretti's and 4noggins ones sound intriguing. But I've never purchased from there.
Ill look into them all, the Red Odessa and Professor I have in the cellar just havent got to them yet but thanks for the research and link ill try them all out.

Sep 20, 2022
Your admin sucks balls
I forgot to mention C&D Super Balkan. I've smoked it and enjoyed it! The blends you mentioned that I didn't hit on, it's because I'm too cheap to buy tins ! LOL! The SOTE Gold has had the latakia and the orientals reversed. Red Odessa will be my next purchase.
Right on I have the Red Odessa in cellar I will get to it soon I hope. I have a couple oz of super Balkan its good but not a big hit with me I will always have some around to switch things up but not something Im stocking up on. I have the Gold on the way now and some Izmir to try adding to others to see if that does the trick. I have 40 or 50 tins of stuff I have not gotten in the last 2 months I got in the pipe game a little late and Im a prepper. Now that I enjoy this hobby so much im not losing out because the gov't got greedy yet again but I will not go there on here lol

Reactions: FLDRD

ClenchedBilliard

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 19, 2021
Louisiana
+1 on SOTEG and Super Balkan, they are both outstanding. Regular Star of the East also has a hefty dose of orientals and is worth a try. I’d also recommend GLP Caravan, possibly my favorite oriental forward blend. I hear you on From Beyond, I didn’t get it at first but it really grew on me! I’ve been anxiously awaiting another release.

Reactions: Woodsman_piper
Sep 20, 2022
Your admin sucks balls
+1 on SOTEG and Super Balkan, they are both outstanding. Regular Star of the East also has a hefty dose of orientals and is worth a try. I’d also recommend GLP Caravan, possibly my favorite oriental forward blend. I hear you on From Beyond, I didn’t get it at first but it really grew on me! I’ve been anxiously awaiting another release.
Good to know I'm not the only From Beyond fan. I'll check out GLP Caravan.

Reactions: ClenchedBilliard
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It is a pretty solid savings though on the C&D stuff. It's about 25% difference 2oz vs. 8oz and like 38% 2oz vs. 16oz.

It's a $100 difference buying 5 pounds in 2oz tins vs. 8oz tins.
Yeah, that's $20 per pound. At just 10 bowls per ounce, that 160 bowls per pound. Which equates to approximately 13 cents per bowl. I wouldn't think twice about paying an additional 13 cents per bowl for something I really liked. Even if one smoked 6 bowls per day, that's less than a dollar per day.