PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

oddfellow

Lurker
Jul 18, 2024
Celina, OH
deannellis.me
My wife wanted to drive to pick up some books today. I was able to negotiate a stop at a tobacconist! The shop had a surprisingly great selection of tins. I could have spent a lot more time and money, but my wife and son were waiting in the car.

I walked away with a tin of 2023 Cringle Flake and one C&D Pirate Kake. I ended up smoking a bowl of each this evening.

The Pirate Kake was easily my favorite. I’ve been smoking a lot of aromatics and English blends lately and was looking for something different. Boy did I find it!

In the tin it smelled like barbecue and vinegar. The smoke was deep, dark, and rich.

I’ve heard it ages great. Hopefully some will make it into my cellar.

Cringle Flake was good as well. Maybe I’ll have more thoughts on it to share after another bowl or two.

Hope everyone else got a relaxing pipe in this weekend!

gord

Can't Leave
My wife wanted to drive to pick up some books today. I was able to negotiate a stop at a tobacconist! The shop had a surprisingly great selection of tins. I could have spent a lot more time and money, but my wife and son were waiting in the car.

I walked away with a tin of 2023 Cringle Flake and one C&D Pirate Kake. I ended up smoking a bowl of each this evening.

The Pirate Kake was easily my favorite. I’ve been smoking a lot of aromatics and English blends lately and was looking for something different. Boy did I find it!

In the tin it smelled like barbecue and vinegar. The smoke was deep, dark, and rich.

I’ve heard it ages great. Hopefully some will make it into my cellar.

Cringle Flake was good as well. Maybe I’ll have more thoughts on it to share after another bowl or two.

Hope everyone else got a relaxing pipe in this weekend!
Pirate Kake is up there in my top 3 or 4 tobaccos. Hard to say what it is . . . it's a least to me, a hybrid between an Oriental and an English, although most complex Englishes have an oriental component to them.

PK is very heavy on the Latakia (i understand, about 50%), and seems to be very gentle on the tongue. A couple of forum members have told me to be careful with this cause you won't stop smoking it. Uhhhh . . . . to late guys! I haven't smoked anything else for two days now, and on my third. :LOL:

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
PK is definitely something different and hits the spot if you want a good amount of lat. Glad you were able to cap off the weekend with a good trip. What was the shop?

Reactions: gord

oddfellow

Lurker
Jul 18, 2024
Celina, OH
deannellis.me
PK is definitely something different and hits the spot if you want a good amount of lat. Glad you were able to cap off the weekend with a good trip. What was the shop?
It was Copper Canyon in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. I usually go for Riegel's when I make it to Ft. Wayne, but they are closed on Sunday's.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Copper Canyon, but I was pleasantly surprised! Nice store, good tinned tobacco selection. They had a smoking lounge I would have been interested in if I had more time.

khiddy

Starting to Get Obsessed
It was Copper Canyon in Ft. Wayne, Indiana. I usually go for Riegel's when I make it to Ft. Wayne, but they are closed on Sunday's.

I wasn't sure what to expect from Copper Canyon, but I was pleasantly surprised! Nice store, good tinned tobacco selection. They had a smoking lounge I would have been interested in if I had more time.
That is good to know, I am in South Bend and have been planning a trip down to Riegel's sometime soon, but Sundays usually work better for me. We don't have any B&Ms nearby, Fort Wayne is the closest, and I'm glad to know there are more than one option.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest

Thanks! Which one in FW? It looked it up and they have 4 locations in town.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

Sig

Can't Leave
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
If you like Pirate Kake, give C&D Star of the East a try.
SOTE is only 50% Latakia, whereas Pirate Kake is 75% Latakia.
SOTE is similar but better in my opinion and much less expensive in bulk.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I loaded up my Peterson POTY 9BC with Squadron Leader and promptly fell asleep that day. Wrapped it with cling wrap and haven't lit it yet. When you are retired, nap comes first. Then again, I'm known to snooze off while clenching a pipe. When the pipe drops out of the mouth, that's the time to ash the bowl.