PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Reagan

Lurker
Jan 12, 2020
I've already learned so much, thank you all! Im so excited to surprise him with everything he needs to get started.
Also, any recommendations for an affordable, travel friendly pipe? His is long and won't fit in many carry cases. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but we're going backpacking for a week and I know he plans on taking it with him!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I've already learned so much, thank you all! Im so excited to surprise him with everything he needs to get started.
Also, any recommendations for an affordable, travel friendly pipe? His is long and won't fit in many carry cases. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, but we're going backpacking for a week and I know he plans on taking it with him!
A Rossi 8320.

002-577-5880.9328.jpg

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA

something that's either rusticated or sandblasted. that way, if it's treated rough, it won't show much.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Backpacking is great. I like the falcon for that. Cheap easy to care for smokes cool.

A Rossi 8320.

002-577-5880.9328.jpg

Also look into the Savinelli 320 . It's 20 bucks more than the Rossi at 80 bucks. Rossi branded pipes are Savinelli's budget brand. Nice pipes but for only 20 bucks more, you get the Cadillac instead of the Chevy not that there is anything wrong with Chevy's..... puffy

prairiedruid

Lifer
Jun 30, 2015
Tobacco suggestions based on liking Laphroaig: Old Dark Fired and Peter Stokkebye's Proper English (a bulk blend you can buy a few ounces at a very affordable price). Black Frigate is great, smoky with rum notes. A couple of corn cob pipes (Missouri Meershaum not the cheap Chinese ones) are perfect for backpacking.

Jan 5, 2020
Instead of starting a new thread, I have a couple more questions if you guys don't mind.
Im buying him little 4oz mason jars for storage, anything else you recommend buying? Or any basic newbie advice?

@Reagan Make sure you properly wash and sanitize the jars though, on occasion there can be little bits of glass dust and other stuff from manufacturing. Typically a quick run through the dish washer is plenty. Dry them well and make sure the bands and lids are washed and dried too.
as far as tobacco suggestions, maybe order some 1 or 2 ounce bags from smokingpipes.com? Cheaper and a ton of variety there, and easy to fill the jars without wasting the material from the tin. Also, some nice labels for the jars can be had at staples if you want to make them look really nice and classy.

magicpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Right now I'm especially enjoying Seattle Pipe Club's Potlatch which you can get from smokingpipes.com and pipesandcigars.com. But you might ask him for a suggestion; you'd spoil the surprise but be sure to please him. A number of blends have bourbon, rum, or Irish whiskey as flavorings, but he might like unflavored blends, and drink the whiskey along with it.
I'll second the Seattle Pipe Club Potlatch. Great stuff. I'm sure your boyfriend would quite enjoy it.