PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I have rekindled my love of Latakia of late smoking a blended Pirate Kake with a light virginia deep hollow. I am looking for suggestions for a blend that I can purchase that gives me a bit of Latakia but that the wife will like the smell of. It's difficult to strike the right balance I know but I'm tired of her comparing my pipe to the woodstove. Anyone know of any good sweet smelling blends that will give me that tease of Latakia that I crave?
Thanks,
Rob

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
The latakia blends that come to mind for smelling good to nonsmokers tend to have so little latakia that it's truly a condiment, not something that's going to be that pronounced for you, the smoker.
Because of how the Frogs treat latakia -- it's subjected to a cavendish process that gives it a unique flavor/aroma -- you and your wife might enjoy Frog Morton, Frog Morton on the Town, etc. These do have a lot of latakia, though, so they'll likely still give that "woodsmoke" experience. (Samuel Gawith's Perfection is very very similar to Frog Morton on the Town, but it develops some of the same flavors by adding a hint of vanilla rather than using the Basma that FMotT relies on for its vanilla-like sweetness.)
I'm a huge fan of Rattray's Jocks Mixture, which is an extremely delicious smoke. But there, the latakia is present in only the tiniest of amounts. While it's a great blend, it may not push your specific "latakia" button.
Another option might be Presbyterian Mixture, another one I really enjoy (although it needs a bit of drying-out time). It also incudes a small measure of latakia, which definitely takes a back seat to the other orientals in the blend.
Finally, I'll suggest Gawith & Hoggarth's Bob's Chocolate Flake. I love this one, and it's a delicious and rich burley/Virginia/latakia flake that gives only a hint of cocoa in the smoke (it's not "sweet" by any means). Again, the latakia is only a tiny hint far in the background. But it might work for your situation. And the smoke might be the most appealing of all of these for your wife.
Bob

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
I've gotten compliments when smoking Millionaire blend
http://luxurytobaccoreviews.com/t/sterling-tobacco-millionaire-blend

eaglerico

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
I found a list of "Aromatics containing Latakia" blends on Cornell & Deihl's site the other day. Link below. List at bottom of page below their other aromatics. I haven't tried them as I am not much of a Latakia smoker, but I Have tried a few of their Aromatics and like everyone I have tried. Let us know what you think if you try one.
http://www.cornellanddiehl.com/aromatic_blends.htm
Also, there was a thread about 6 months ago listing many "Crossover" blends that would fit this category. I can't seem to find it at the moment but I will post a link later if I can find it.
Edit: Found it

http://pipesmagazine.com/forums/topic/cross-overs-love-em-or-hate-em-they-aint-goin-away-unique-tobacco-blend

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
Thanks Guys that's a great start! Happy Wife Happy Life and then I don't get religated to the garage this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.