Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
Good choice on the AJs Vaper, Anniversary Kake, and Early Morning Pipe. These have been some of my favorite blends the past few months and hopefully you will enjoy them as well. Be sure to try the tobaccos at different moisture levels and different packing densities to see what works well for you. If you find that the tobaccos dont suit your fancy, try packing a little looser or smoking a little slower or making your tobacco a little drier as these may all offer a better smoke. Good luck on your venture!

wnghanglow

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2012
Great advice pipe novelist, I have read that before in a guide to smoking, and will keep it in mind when I get my supplies :)

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I would echo everyone's advice on talking to someone at a good online shop. Several have been mentioned here. I would add a +1 for McCranie's Red Ribbon, and exceedingly fine blend, and toss in a nod to my favorite latakia blend, Peterson's Old Dublin.
Do note that you will need to learn to alter your smoking technique depending on what you are smoking. Virginias burn hotter than latakia blends, for example, so they need to be smoked slowly, with sips, not big mouthfuls of smoke.
Enjoy the journey. :puffy:

tokerpipes

Lifer
Jan 16, 2012
Eatonville, WA
Welcome to the forum. I wish I could give some advise that hasn't been given already without sounding redundant or like I am scolding you. Just pack and puff bro.

alonso2

Lurker
Feb 20, 2012
Carey's sell sample packs on line.Pack of 6 samples each pouch 5gm at £10 or 9 pack for £15. Probably be a lot cheaper in the USA.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
@topd, check out that 2" belt. I had one with 2 rings instead of a buckle. I think we should all go back to late 70s early 80s fashion. I miss my white on white shirt, vertical color stripe pants and Nehru jacket. Oh wait, I STILL dress like that. Bass Weejuns, Desert Boots, anyone?

brownbilliard

Might Stick Around
Feb 27, 2012
I recommend going to the tobaccoreviews website and ordering several different blends that are on the 4-star list. From my experience, the 4-star blends are among the highest quality available and are practically impossible to dislike.

bakerbrett741

Lurker
Apr 15, 2012
I have just started smoking a pipe as well. I have Blenders Gold Toasted Cavendsh. I live in a small town and I don't think that the lower end tobacco store here has flake tobacco. ( Its one of those cigarette tobacco sellers that has a lot of cigarette tobacco labled as pipe tobacco and They sell drug pipes there as well.) I signed up for some free sample thing from Altadis u.s.a. The pipes they were selling at the so called tobacco store looked like they were glued together and would fall appart any min. The tobacco shop in my small town only had 2 styles of fake looking pipes, but they had a wide array of drug pipes behind the counter in every style and color.-lol. so I bought 2 vintage pipes from e bay.

terry

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2011
I also would suggest that you try Milan, Boswells, and Mc Baren to start with.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'd say it's best to try a blend of each style to findout what you like best. Definitely pick up a Perique blend like Frog Morton on the Bayou by McClelland, an English blend like Early Morning Pipe from Dunhill, and a quality aromatic like any out of the 7 Seas line from Mac Baren. Finding blends you love is the fun part, though it can be cumbersome on the budget. My suggestion would be to look for the sampler packs and if you can't find those see if the retailer has it in bulk. Usually a one or two ounce sample is under $5 if you use one of the sponsor sites.

bakerbrett741

Lurker
Apr 15, 2012
are there any free pipe tobacco catalogs for the residental consumer that I could sign up for? I get Thompson cigar magazine, but it is mostly cigars. Thank-you for the sugestions. I am using this site for a reference of what some of the packages look like. Im going to try to memorize what a few look like because the lady at the so called tobacco store where I live tries her best to help, but being a seller of cigarettes and tobacco labled pipe tobacco that is more for cigarettes they have a hard time helping one find tobacco that is for a traditional pipe-in my oppinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.