PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
carver, I'm sorry to hear about your situation and hope you and your wife can find your way through it in a good way. Traveling to distant points always wears an air of challenge and adventure, but it can be isolating and difficult. You and your wife have to talk about this, in some caring and accepting way, to navigate it. Part of deciding to go to an entirely different culture is accepting that your old habits and pleasures won't be readily available. The reality of that is a lot harder than simply saying okay as you plan to relocate. If the two of you can use the unique surroundings and situation to have a special first Chinese Christmas, it might go a long way. I wish you all the best, and for the New Year. The Chinese do one hell of a New Year (a little later than the one in the West) that might make you both feel happier. But please, both, stop expecting Christmas at home. You're "not in Kansas" anymore. As a young sailor off a minesweeper during the Vietnam War, on a rest stop in Hong Kong, I wandered to the boat pier, took a boat to Kowloon, and by shear luck wandered over to the New Years parade. Vast crowd, longest parade I've ever seen, dragons, bands, acrobats, fireworks, you name it. I was stone sober and it was intensely psychedelic. I rode that experience through another patrol off the DMZ/Cue Viet River, and back across the Pacific. I didn't go looking for it; it came looking for me.

carbonmated

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 5, 2015
My wife and I have had hard times, lots of them. This year financially we are good. I spoiled her and her mom this year, because I could. In the lean years we always leaned on each other and we were damn thankful for what we had, not upset about material things we couldn't have. If this Christmas sucks for you, please change it. In your head and your heart, change it. Your wife will love you for it.
Always remember, there are too many in the world with far less than what you have. Your situation could be much much worse. Christmas is not about presents, it is the joy in your heart that you share with others. Misery loves company, don't make your wife it's company.
Merry Christmas m8, I sure hope you turn Christmas into something good.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
You have each other and your health. Celebrate what you have, not curse what you don't. Perhaps it's not the presents at all but rather she wasn't foremost in your mind she complains of. You can change that. If you do you'll save Christmas for both of you.
Wise words.

anarchisthermit

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2015
8 years ago my wife of 33 years died 19 days before Christmas. No family around to lean on. Sorry if my empathy is thin towards those who still have their loved ones but are put out by life not being perfect.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
8 years ago my wife of 33 years died 19 days before Christmas. No family around to lean on. Sorry if my empathy is thin towards those who still have their loved ones but are put out by life not being perfect.
:(

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
Hey all,
Thank you for the kind words, the gentle shake and the experience sharing.

It really helped.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
The only thing worse than being lonely on this day is being lonely, but not alone. Hope things look up. Merry Xmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.