PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Verdant

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2021
Pacific Northwest
Hi all,

I'm a devoted Balkan/English and VaPer smoker - I bounce back and forth as the mood strikes me, but on the very rare occasion an aro sounds kind of nice. Trouble is, I don't want to go through tins on tins of aros that are overly sweet and flavored to find a more subtle aro. An aro that, to a Balkan smoker tastes like an aro because of the presence of some flavoring, but not so much that you attract a flock of non-smokers.

Thoughts on some of the better ones out there to try? I know almost nothing about aros other than the disgusting "Cherry x," "Vanilla x" someone would pass around in college that I tried and fled from.

Two guesses that I had were maybe Connoisseur's Choice? Royal Yacht? If you suggest anything with Ice Cream or Vanilla in the title please substantiate why I shouldn't dismiss the thought :).

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Of the aromatics I have tried, the following are the most subtle and may be good crossover blends for you:
  • Dan Tobacco - Sweet Vanilla Honeydew - The creamy vanilla compliments the Virginias nicely and doesn't dominate; a great blend during the hot Summer
  • Two Friends - English Chocolate - The chocolate is more like a dry dark cocoa and doesn't dominate; pairs with the Latakia nicely

Reactions: JOHN72

MarcosEZLN

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2021
Birch Bay, WA, USA
I agree on the Luxury Twist Flake. Though some contend it doesn't have added flavoring most people pick up a sweet caramel or coconut flavor. Plus, it's cheap and readily available. My other suggestion might be controversial, but I'm a big fan of Samuel Gawith's Firedance Flake. It's their Best Brown Flake (fantastic Virginia) with blackberry/brandy/vanilla flavor. It's not at all a goopy, syrupy aromatic but the flavor might be more forward than you're looking for. I don't think it tastes artificial the way many aromatics do, I pick up more the way blackberry vines with ripe berries smell on a hot summer day. The base tobacco is one of my favorites and its flavor still shines through despite the added flavors. It won't be as cheap or as easy to find as LTF, but of the Samuel Gawith blends it tends to stay in stock longer than most others.

Jun 25, 2021
England
Connoisseurs choice is the only tobacco I've ever thrown in the trash.
Couldn't even finish one bowl, can't get rid of that ghost no matter what I do.
Ghastly sickly stuff IMO.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
There are probably lots of options, the DT Sweet Vanilla Honeydew mentioned above being at least one of them, but what I would consider to be the best is Capstan Gold Flake.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Edward G Robinson-has Latakia, not much, and is slightly aromatic-Delicious and easy smoking, Wilke Blood Red English or VA (both are great) - great blood orange topping, Samuel Gawith Perfection (English with a hint of vanilla), Ken Byron Dark Fired Cherry - I love this blend. Very unconventional and not overly flavored. The Cherry compliments the sour notes of the orientals.

Flakes such as University Flake, St Bruno, Firedance Flake, Erinmore Flake, Orlik Golden Slices, Bengal Slices and others have toppings to various degrees.

More traditional aromatics:
Rattray Exotic Passion, Bagpipers Dream and Sir William

And so on

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
KBV aros are pretty heavy in the aromatic department for me and I smoke plenty of aromatics. They seem to get wetter the longer they sit in the jar somehow.

If you like Balkan/English, I’d suggest Boswell Northwoods which has kind of a sweet vanilla like topping on what is otherwise a Balkan/English base blend.

Also a second nomination for English Chocolate but I think it really shines about 2 years in. It’s one of my favorites and I’m finishing a tin right now from 2019.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
Peterson University Flake has a detectable berry note to it. Quite pleasant.

Royal Yacht is another winner. Oddly almost Granger-like in its retro. Very mild and tasty.

If you like more than a hint of cocoa and can get some, try Burley London Blend.
I find it very charming that you find Royal Yacht very mild and tasty. I do agree that it is tasty.

Reactions: Reggie

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I find it very charming that you find Royal Yacht very mild and tasty. I do agree that it is tasty.
I retro most every puff. Granger is thee mildest tobacco I’ve ever enjoyed. Royal Yacht smokes the same. Now C&D Burleys? They border from peppery nose tingle to outright discomfort. — if you’re referring to the nicotine in Royal Yacht? I don’t find it approached medium.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
There are some blends that are like Schrödinger's aromatics. They are and are not aromatics at the same time. The Capstan blends, Orlik Golden Sliced, the Fribourg&Treyer flakes, Royal Yacht.
They vary in flavor profile and strength but are all seriously good!
St Bruno is a staple for me, and for when I'm in a burley mood it's Amphora Full Aroma.
All these are very good.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I retro most every puff. Granger is thee mildest tobacco I’ve ever enjoyed. Royal Yacht smokes the same. Now C&D Burleys? They border from peppery nose tingle to outright discomfort. — if you’re referring to the nicotine in Royal Yacht? I don’t find it approached medium.
Funny how experiences differ. I find Royal Yacht to be quite strong. Below 1792 Flake, which is as strong as I care to smoke, but way stronger than my regular fare which is stuff like Capstan and St Bruno.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Funny how experiences differ. I find Royal Yacht to be quite strong. Below 1792 Flake, which is as strong as I care to smoke, but way stronger than my regular fare which is stuff like Capstan and St Bruno.
I hear others describe Granger as a tasty mouthful of wasps and I scratch my head in wonder. So so mild to me. We all react differently.

— In the cigar world I used to smoke La Glorias to the fingers yet I find the reputably-mild Macanudo to be the harsher cigar.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I hear others describe Granger as a tasty mouthful of wasps and I scratch my head in wonder. So so mild to me. We all react differently.

— In the cigar world I used to smoke La Glorias to the fingers yet I find the reputably-mild Macanudo to be the harsher cigar.
I would love to try Granger. It isn't an option where I live. That's just how it is.
My preferred rating of strength is this: Is it good without booze=daily smoke
Is it good with booze=strong.