PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
On a recently purchased estate pipe I found it had that usual stale taste to it. No problem I thought, just do a cotton balls and alcohol soak but it was still there. I have now done it three times plus thoroughly cleaning out the shank and of course the stem yet it still tastes stale.
I reamed the pipe almost to bare wood so skanky cake isn't the culprit so I am pretty much at a loss. I have dealt with this problem numerous times in the past with complete success but not this time. Any suggestions as what else I might try (not ozone treatment)?
Regards,
Jay

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
I know a nice summer sun bath freshens a stale cob quite nicely. Do you think it may work on a briar stummel as well?

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Jay, the only thing I can say is the mortise area may be the culprit. Tars can accumulate there (and in the worse case harden significantly). Pipe cleaners won't do it. Dave's low tech solution, twist a piece of paper towel, soak it in alcohol, and twist it into the mortise/shank, and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. After doing it the first time, you will know if that's the issue (esp. if it comes out black). :wink: Repeat as needed.
The other thing I should say, is that if the pipe was drilled for a Stinger (think old Sasieni for example), this type of clean out is even more necessary.

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Never tried the cotton ball approach. Always use kosher salt and everclear.
I'll second the "check the shank" suggestion.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hot, hot water. Fill with coffee grounds. Let dry several days. Hot water and towel dry. A prayer to the Saint of tobaccos. Try a few partial bowls, smoking to the bottom; this will help drive out moisture and hopefully, bad spirits. Sacrificing a medium sized animal might help, but it must then be eaten within five days.
Good luck!

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I would third it, but Jay already stated he thoroughly cleaned the shank and stem.
True, but that doesn't always translate to "I thoroughly cleaned out the mortise down to the wood". My version of Dave's technique is a fluffie, folded over twice to make a double thickness on 4 sides, dipped in alcohol and left in the mortise for 15 to 30 minutes. Then I twist it back and forth to wipe the softened tars, pull it out, and repeat until it comes out clean. For really stubborn deposits I'll use a dental pick. More evil lurks in the mortise than most smokers realize.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Thanks guys for the speedy replies. Regards the shank and mortice (it's a bent billiard with small sump) I started off with bristle cleaners working up to a set of stiff bristled brushes, all with alcohol. I then used scrunched up tissue wetted in alcohol and twisted it around with the pliers on my Leatherman. I gathered I had the shank sorted when I used a fresh white fluffy cleaner and it came out pure white. The sump I sorted with cotton buds.
I just might try John's coffee grounds method, nothing to lose I suppose :roll:
BTW I today smoked a bowl of FVF in it and I think it is improved some since I first tried it so I must be doing something right.
Regards,
Jay.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Freezing the disassembled pipe for a few days may work. I know it removes musty smells from old cloth and paper.

Just be careful to bring the pieces up to room temperature before reassembly.
btw, ++ on the coffee grounds

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Jay, the other thing is that estate pipes, from my experience, need some time breaking in, sometimes up to a dozen or more smokes. I always smoke the same "reference" tobacco in my newly cleaned estates so I know when the taste is what it should be. In fact, about to give recently cleaned Parker a smoke as part of this process. :)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
With older pipes (not sure how old this one is), they sometimes just have a sour-sweet staleness that will dissipate after a few smokes. The heat and the moisture from smoking seem to draw out the old flavors embedded in the wood and then they go away.
EDIT: Looks like Dave posted while I was typing. A few smokes should do it if the usual cleaning doesn't work. One other thing you can try, and which has worked for me, is to use baking soda in the bowl and mortise instead of salt -- that works well for aromatic ghosts and might work here.

cranseiron

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2013
McHenry, MS
Jay, you could try this, too: buy some aquarium activated charcoal (carbon), fill the bowl with it and then crush some and place that in the mortise. Place the pipe, less stem, in the oven on 170F, 76C and heat for several hours. I've done this to a pipe a few years ago and it worked well. Here's a link to an old GL Pease article where I originally discovered the technique: http://www.glpease.com/Articles/Spot.html
Good luck with the pipe, Jay and let us know how it turns out.

V/R

Eric

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I clean a lot of pipes, and those of you who say the gap between the end of the tenon and the bottom of the mortise is an amazingly efficient Crud Collector are on the right track, I think. It sometimes accumulates and hardens to the point that it looks and behaves LIKE the bottom of the mortise. You think the crap is gone when it isn't, in other words.
Naturally, it smells wonderful. And adds all manner of flavor and yummy tang. :lol:
I use special tools to get it out easily and not risk gouging things, but a small screwdriver (used no more firmly than necessary) to break it up, followed by a clean-out popsicle stick sliver, and finally an alcohol swab or three should do it.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I have refurbished well over 250 pipes in the last couple of years so I'm pretty familiar with the various techniques involved, it's just this one particular pipe that is giving me gyp :|
Just so it's clear in my head, do I use wet coffee grounds immediately after making the coffee then leave it until the grounds are fully dry? I would assume that would take roughly a week.
"I always smoke the same "reference" tobacco in my newly cleaned estates so I know when the taste is what it should be."
Me too Dave, I use FVF as I am very familiar with the blend and therefore sensitive to any changes in taste.
Pitchfork, I have heard mention folks using baking soda, I've just never tried it.
Eric, that method too I have read about but my (basic) knowledge of chemistry makes me doubt its efficacy but I shall bear it in mind.
"You think the crap is gone when it isn't, in other words."
George, I've inspected it under a low power microscope and its pretty much clean as a whistle. Methinks the wood itself is impregnated with whatever it is that gives me the stale taste.
Many thanks chaps, I really appreciate your tips.
Regards,
Jay.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jay-
Agree it's in the wood most likely, and that's why burning tobacco may be the way to exorcise the demons.
Coffee grounds fresh from the last batch is what I use, but come to review it, I rather think of it as milder than alcohol and salt.
I'd still go with several very hot water rinses, then 4-5 half bowls, smoking all the way through, even if you find it stinky, keep going. (by gently oxygenating the ember by blowing through the stem).

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Ozone treatment? For $5, why not?
Because I live in the UK (and am a Yorkshireman) and as poor as the proverbial church mouse :mrgreen:
Besides, something new learned by actual doing is priceless :puffy:
I have some nice Bolivian coffee ready to go first thing tomorrow morn...I shall update as and when folks.
Regards,
Jay.
Regards,
Jay.

Status
Not open for further replies.