PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

nukesimi

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 25, 2016
Royal yacht has some of the strongest straight Virginias on the market. Instead of adding Perique or dark fired to increase strength, why don’t Latakia mixes use some stronger Virginias like those in Royal Yacht? Anyone know of a Balkan or English blend with hard hitting Virginias sans Perique or Kentucky?

Skippy B. Coyote

Can't Leave
Jun 19, 2023
St. Paul, MN
Outside of Royal Yacht the strongest pure Virginia without any dark fired leaf added that I've had the pleasure of enjoying has been G.L. Pease Union Square. It's not quite in the same league as Royal Yacht or Gawith's assorted dark fired delights, but it'll definitely mellow you out if you're in need of some Vitamin N. I'm not too sure about English blends containing stronger Virginias since Englishes aren't really my genre, but if you're looking for a good strong straight Virginia then Union Square should fit the bill.

Last edited:

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
The strongest Virginia I’ve tried is WLT ripe flue cured Virginia. I much prefer it to royal yacht. If I wanted a hi-nic English , I’d mix it with some Latakia

camaguey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 25, 2021
west indies
Stronger virginias may interfere with the delicate oriental. It depends on the kind of blend that the blender wants. I suggest you to try to improve your blend by adding a stronger varietal to your mix. It is fun to experiment and may be rewarding.

Reactions: RookieGuy80

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Royal yacht has some of the strongest straight Virginias on the market. Instead of adding Perique or dark fired to increase strength, why don’t Latakia mixes use some stronger Virginias like those in Royal Yacht? Anyone know of a Balkan or English blend with hard hitting Virginias sans Perique or Kentucky?
Nicotine in tobacco isn't just a matter of strength but also things like absorption. I feel like it's not just the leaf used in Royal Yacht but something to do with the topping.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

RookieGuy80

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2023
Maryland, United States
Stronger virginias may interfere with the delicate oriental. It depends on the kind of blend that the blender wants. I suggest you to try to improve your blend by adding a stronger varietal to your mix. It is fun to experiment and may be rewarding.
That is a great idea! I bet RY would make a killer English. Thanks.

Reactions: camaguey
I'm really surprised that no one has hit the nail on the head with this. There are different varieties of brightleaf, and the one that we are most familiar with is VAGold25 seedstock. We (pipesmokers) tend to call all brightleaf varieties, Virginias. But, this is not so on the agricultural end of the varietal. There are a few varieties that were cultivated in Africa and Asia that will wallop your head... particularly African Virginias. It is not a brightleaf, like we would call a "Virginia", but it is of that strain. And, there are others, in a category we (pipesmokers) would call Imperial Virginias, referring to those tobaccos cultivated by the British Empire, when they had one. And, it is these Imperial Virginias that give Royal Yacht its strength.

Also, yes, the topping changes the acidity of the blend. Virginias naturally have a wallop of nic power, but they are acidic (PH-) which makes it harder to absorb the nicotine in that leaf. And, a topping that changes the PH can make it a more powerful blend. But, I am not sure that is in play here... maybe.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Samuel Gawith - Brown No.4 is a very stout straight Virginia and an amazing blend.

The strongest Virginia blend i've tried is Gawith Dark Plug XX. There really is nothing like it. The only place in the UK that sells it is GQ Tobaccos but it's currently out of stock.

Reactions: PaulRVA

Edwoooo

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2022
Valley Springs, California
I'm trying to get off of a 17 years old cigarette habit. I get anxiety ridden within hours of not smoking. I find pipe smoking very satisfying as far as premium tobacco taste. but I cannot find one with strong nicotine to calm my addiction. But I'm still searching. I hope someone can suggest something.

Strange Quark

Lurker
Nov 9, 2023
I'm trying to get off of a 17 years old cigarette habit. I get anxiety ridden within hours of not smoking. I find pipe smoking very satisfying as far as premium tobacco taste. but I cannot find one with strong nicotine to calm my addiction. But I'm still searching. I hope someone can suggest something.
A Virgina/Perique blend may be to your liking. The perique is high nicotine and compliments straight forward virginia flavors with a bit of fruitiness and "spice." I recently tried Peter Stockebye Bullseye Flake which is a mechanically produced twist of virginia, perique and a core of dry black cavendish which is rather neutral in character. I found it a bit rich in the nicotine department and I suspect it may not be enoug for you. You can buy bulk tobaccos and blend your own to arrive at your desired strength or C&D are noted for having some strong virginia/perique blends.

Last edited:

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
People say Five Brothers is one of the strongest. And it's pretty cheap.

Reactions: badbriar

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020

Five Brothers
Sam Gawith Black xx or Brown no 4
Gawith & Hoggarth Happy Brown Bogie