PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Thanks for the advice Ohin I'm gonna leave it as is for now. Thanks gwt I like it a lot too!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
I've used Sno-seal for over 40 years on hiking boots and consider it one of the best leather dressings available. I'll be very interested to hear how that product works on a briar pipe, but I'm glad you're going to try it out on a twenty buck beater. There's just too many unknowns in the equation.
Please send me a PM with the results.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Haha I think as long as the result isn't me hacking up a lung and croaking...I think the experiment will be well worth it. It's just beeswax and mineral spirits, so I dunno I don't see much going wrong. Honestly though I've been just rubbing a lil nose oil on it after each smoke like my grandpa used to do. I think it's darkening up and shining a little more already.

instymp

Lifer
Jul 30, 2012
I bought a peterson, one of the pretty high varnished red ones with the tower of big ben on the silver/shinney metal band, smoked it in my car, lit it with a butane lighter while driving several times, chared the one side of it without me knowin it until too late. Will follow advise in here & srip to bare wood, & see whats under the pretty red. Won't make it red, hopefully have nice wood underneath. & learned a $100.00 lesson. I think from all posts in here, will work, otherwise a good smoker while on the mower or boat. Thanks for all the posts.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
@instymp, welcome aboard and keep us up to date on your progress, pictures help :D

#tjameson, nice job sir. Makes me want to strip all mine and see whats underneath.

tjameson

Lifer
Jun 16, 2012
Thanks Martiniman it's getting a nice patina, darkened up a bit. I'll try and post pics later.

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
This is a great thread! I've learned a lot and gotten several new ideas from it. BYW, love how the nose warmer looked in the pics you posted and can't wait to see how she's developing.

Status
Not open for further replies.