PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
fish, another beauty for your collection, well done sir. I love the shape, the blast, everything about it. I also have wondered how the strawberry wood pipes smoke in comparison to briar.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Harris,

I will post how it compares once broken in. I only have one more Becker to have all of the variations the father and son offered together and the last will be Olive Wood, if Paulo is still making them that is.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Jeeze, I learn something every day I visit Forums. I had never heard of strawberry wood. Sounds

really appealing and pretty exotic. Of course, as everyone agrees, the pipe is a beauty. It's not

easy to do striking and simplicity in the same pipe, but this one does it easily. When woods

alternate to traditional briar come up, I always mention my two mountain laurel pipes, which are

great smokers and hark back to World War II when mountain laurel was a replacement for

the unavailable briar harvested in war-torn Europe. But strawberry wood ignites a whole new

yearning. Maybe Dr. Brog could do a line for budget pipe smokers? This makes me wonder how

strawberry wood looks finished smooth. Where's it harvested? Everywhere there are strawberries,

I suppose.

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Paulo began using Strawberry Wood, I don't think anyone was using it, or Morta for that matter, when Fritz was making them. I also understand Paulo's son, Frederico, is now making pipes as well so a third generation of Becker pipes will be around the corner.

Jul 12, 2011
@Roth, also a reason why I had been looking into getting one

of his Strawberry wood pipes...I have blends that just don't

smoke their best unless they are in a Meer or Clay...so I'm

looking for that smoking quality in a wood-based bacci pipe
There goes that PAD beast again...no stopping it now ;-)

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
All I can say is the photos do this pipe zero justice, it is truly remarkable. I had doubts about the weight as my Dunhill Cutty weighs .7 ozs and this also blew me away it's practically weightless, now to decide what to break it in with!

boomer

Lurker
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas, TX
I know this is an old thread, but I am eyeing a Becker strawberry wood billiard...and was wondering how they smoke...the differences...and how Federico's work has been received?
Thanks for any insight!

fishnbanjo

Lifer
Feb 27, 2013
Strawberrywood is a tiny bit sweeter than briar, on average slightly lighter, it breaks in about the same and smokes as well. Federico worked with Paulo as Paulo had worked with Fritz. I have an Olivewood Maya desnuda by Federico and other than the usual b logo gone the workmanship is what you would expect from a Becker pipe, it is a fantastic smoker and I would heartily encourage anyone thinking of picking up a pipe by any of the Becker family to do so you won't be unhappy be it briar, Morta, Strawberrywood or Olivewood.

banjo

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's a mid-size pipe with a mid-size bowl and weighs nothing, less than an ounce. A clencher par excellence.

What I like about my Becker strawberries and my Hilson strawberry is that they don't seem to impart very much of a briar aroma at all, and like Banjo says, what it does impart is sweet, or maybe heightens the already sweet flavors in the tobacco. And, they are super light and very strong. My Hilson is smoked several tomes a day every day while i work at the bench, and it's never gotten sour.
That is a dazzling Becker Banjo. I know its an old thread, but a belated congrats to ya. I wish I could afford to buy every Becker I see. They are fantastic burners and they have that certain flair in style only found in a Becker.

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
I'm not one for thinking about spending the kind of money that a Becker fetches, HOWEVER!!! I think at some point I'll be buying a Becker Dublin.

Status
Not open for further replies.