PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

berthold

Lurker
Mar 23, 2012
I just picked up this little M.P.B Brebbia pipe. I assume it's a type of table pipe like a Savinelli Kalumet, but this one is rather small and light. It has a wind cap (I presume) and a strange notch behind said cap.
Stranger yet is that the logo sticker is attached to what is a plug in the back of the pipe. By plug I mean it is a round dowel made of briar in a hole in the back of the pipe. The plug does not come out. My theory is that the plug hole was originally the main bowl of the pipe, a defect was found and so the briar was made into this pipe configuration so as not to just end up in the scrap pile.
The front of the pipe says

AUTO

Best Briar

(Smoking Gnone Logo) - like the little man on the sticker
Anybody got any info on this pipe? or can you forward on this thread to someone who might please.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NIQVq8itWD0Si5hSlJJzU7gLW0fi4ZoK5OSul0iOQzA?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_CeAmmpLppTSDJthP21ygbgLW0fi4ZoK5OSul0iOQzA?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/hIutyABP0DTD2krnqOxqorgLW0fi4ZoK5OSul0iOQzA?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/6Rtm7bL1qsxBiPfdWBlwwrgLW0fi4ZoK5OSul0iOQzA?feat=directlink

jasongone

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 23, 2011
I don't know anything about it other than it is awesome!

Try asking lonestar. He is pretty good with historical pipe stuff.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Yep its a table pipe. Except that this one says auto, so its technically a dashboard pipe.... How far do you think you'd get before the cops pulled you over ? :D

As for age, I couldnt really say but my guess would be 1950's. I assume they were made to be smoked, but I've heard of some with such poor stems you couldnt draw air through them. So perhaps some of them were actually just novelties.

I know at least one case of an elderly pipesmoker who lost his strength to hold a pipe up for a smoke. A pipe like this was the solution. Someone could load and light the pipe on the table, and he could enjoy a nice smoke.

Thats just about all I can tell you.

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Looks like the MPB and smoking man logo were only used from 1953 to 1968, so theres your dates for this pipe. My guess is still 1950's production. They thought up all kinds of weird stuff in the 50's.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Saw a Kaywoodie "table pipe" for sale a while back. It was nothing more than a plateux, ground flat on the bottom to rest evenly, and a long rubber (I assume) tube (looked to be maybe 30" or thereabouts) with a bit on the end of it.
And, yes, it was a Kaywoodie.

rogers

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 9, 2012
Ya learn something new every day around here.
biggrin.gif

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Maybe someone here will put in a custom pipe order to one of the pipe makers for a "table Pipe"? lol
I know I'd want one sometime in the future. At least one...

lonestar

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Edgewood Texas
Yeah somebody made one awhile back, I'm thinking Kurt Huhn but I could be wrong. It was a big volcano, I think it sold for something like $500. If you still want one, I'm sure he'd do another :D

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I think I'd spend $500 on a decent bicycle before I spend it on a pipe.
Would be interesting for sure to see an imaginative Pipe Maker's interpretation of a table pipe reflecting their style and ideals about what a pipe should be.
I can see it now...
"Table Pipes by Dunhill"
It's an ACTUAL table with pipes built into the table for each place at the table.

berthold

Lurker
Mar 23, 2012
I got a reply from Brebbia in Italy, here it is (Italian accent):
"Dear Berthold,

You bought a very old car pipe made by us in the early ' 60 .

You know that at those times US people used to make everything in the cars.

Pls. note the particular cap that allow you to press the burning tobacco with your finger-tip w/out burning it.

if you want to use it in your car you have to find out the way to fix the head on your dashboard.

( velcro strap or anything else)"
He didn't answer the manufacturing question relating to the plug, but now the built in tamper is obvious and rather neat.
Now I'll have to clean it up and I'll post a report on any other findings and how the little pipe smokes.
Ciao

Status
Not open for further replies.