Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jan 18, 2021
Hi there, fellow pipers,

I have a question regarding a Peterson Arklow series pipe I was recently given as a present for my birthday. As you can see in the pictures, there is a small round elevation at the bottom of the bowl which sits right in the middle. As this is my first Peterson I was wondering whether this is a feature or a bug (having read lots on this forum about their QC problems I fear it's the latter). Any ideas?

Kind regards and many thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_20230130_004107917.jpg
    IMG_20230130_004107917.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20230130_003749681_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230130_003749681_HDR.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 61
Reactions: FLDRD and kcghost

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
...or the bowl coating guy was just slopping that horrible bowl coating stuff on them and had some buggers in the mix when he applied. In art school, we called the dried bit of paint that would form in the paint, gradoo. I was told it was French for buggers, but... I think it was just a colloquialism.
I've read that gradoo/gradeaux is a southern US term for "crud" or buildup like in crevasses or cracks.

Googling it is kind of funny:

I've read that gradoo/gradeaux is a southern US term for "crud" or buildup like in crevasses or cracks.

Googling it is kind of funny:

Awesome!
Funny, my painting professor that taught us the term was from New York, ha ha. But, sometimes it takes someone looking in from the outside to notice the otherwise obvious.

Reactions: canucklehead

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Proceed at your own risk, but I had a Pete with a little nib like that and I put tiny screwdriver edge down and just chipped it off - came off clean, maybe I got lucky. After removing the coating which I always do, a little light sanding all around and would never know it was ever there.